This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3203 / 53°19'13"N
Longitude: -3.0445 / 3°2'40"W
OS Eastings: 330518
OS Northings: 380885
OS Grid: SJ305808
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z51.NG
Mapcode Global: WH87L.6SHY
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215578
Location: Wirral, CH63
Electoral Ward/Division: Clatterbridge
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thornton Hough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BEBINGTON RABY ROAD
16/244 Church of
Church. 1867. By Kirk and Sons for J. Hirst. Rock-faced
stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof with tile ridge.
Nave, south west tower, north west porch, transepts,
chancel, north organ loft and south vestry. 4-bay nave has
Lombard frieze and 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery
between gabled buttresses. Tower has angle buttresses,
entrance of 2 orders; 2-light windows with shafts; 5-face
clock above; top cornice and broach spire with pinnacles,
gabled lucarnes of 2 lights, 2 further tiers of lucarnes.
West end of nave has 5-light window. North gabled porch,
lancet with trefoil over and return entrance. Transepts
have 3-light windows and spherical triangle windows above.
Chancel has 3-light east window with 2-light window to north
and south. Vestry has east entrance under gable, south
cusped lancet. Organ loft has window of 3 cusped lights.
Interior has arch-braced roof. Chancel arch with flanking
segmental-pointed arches on round columns. Chancel has
scissor-truss roof, corbelled transverse arch to sanctuary.
Reredos has relief of Last Supper with flanking quatrefoils
with relief carvings. C20 stalls and pulpit. Wall memorial
to J. Hirst, the founder, died 1874 in south transept;
cusped gabled panel. Some C19 stained glass, most is C20.
Listing NGR: SJ3051880885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings