This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.414 / 53°24'50"N
Longitude: -2.8399 / 2°50'23"W
OS Eastings: 344267
OS Northings: 391130
OS Grid: SJ442911
Mapcode National: GBR 8XLY.YW
Mapcode Global: WH879.BGW2
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 6 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215267
Location: Knowsley, L36
Electoral Ward/Division: Roby
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Huyton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
HUYTON-WITH-ROBY HUYTON LANE
SJ 49 SW
5/9 Church of
6/6/51 St. Michael
Church. South arcade, and chancel C14, tower C14, the top
dated 1664, north aisle and arcade 1815, south aisles 1822;
Case Mausoleum, now vestry, 1681. Stone with stone slate
chancel roof. Nave aisles under hipped roofs, chancel, west
tower and north vestry. Tower has moulded base; diagonal
buttresses with pinnacles at bell stage. West entrance has
continuous mouldings; frieze over has roundels and
quatrefoils with shields; drip mould over; bell stage has
sill course and 3-light louvred bell openings with uncusped
Perpendicular tracery; cornice with gargoyles and embattled
parapet with obelisk pinnacles with iron vanes. South aisle
has embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; 2-light
windows with uncusped Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds
with foliate stops. Porch similar with elaborate wrought
iron lamp bracket. Rainwater heads are dated. North aisle
similar. Clerestory has embattled parapet and 3-light
windows. Chancel has 3 lights with recessed arched heads to
south, and original south priest's door, with strap hinges
and studs. 5-light east window. Vestry has connecting
passage to north of chancel; cornice, parapet with panelled
pilasters; east entrance, now window, with bolection moulded
architrave, broken segmental pediment with obelisk; south
blind vesica. Interior: 5-bay arcades, double-chamfered
arches on octagonal piers. Roof probably C16 has moulded
principal rafters and purlins, cambered tie beams. Tower
arch has C19 timber screen. Early Norman font, round, with
arcading and heads, rosettes to rim. C15 font, octagonal
with shields in quatrefoils. Charity board dated 1710.
Chancel screen c.1500, removed during Civil War and replaced
with repairs 1663. Octagonal timber pulpit with tracery.
Chancel roof, C17, false hammer-beam roof has tracery
panels, pendants and wind braces. North organ loft.
Reredos has niches with tall canopies. Wrought iron altar
rail, 2 windows to south aisle by Holiday, 1883 and 1885.
Vestry has memorial in architrave with scrolly crest.
Alabaster effigy of priest, John de Winwick, 1359.
Listing NGR: SJ4426791130
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings