This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6044 / 52°36'15"N
Longitude: -1.9126 / 1°54'45"W
OS Eastings: 406014
OS Northings: 300735
OS Grid: SK060007
Mapcode National: GBR 3D5.P8D
Mapcode Global: WHBFW.LSFS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219082
Location: Walsall, WS9
Electoral Ward/Division: Aldridge Central and South
Built-Up Area: Aldridge
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Aldridge St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK OO SE,
Church of St Mary The Virgin
(formerly listed under Aldridge UD)
Church. C14, with south aisle of 1841. Extensively restored 1852-3 by
Salvin, when the north aisle and chancel were rebuilt. South vestry
added 1975. Red sandstone, with some limestone rubble exposed in tower.
Tile roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, north aisle under pitched roof,
south aisle, and lower chancel. The tower has diagonal buttresses, three
string courses, and an embattled parapet. The openings have straight-sided
pointed arches. The bell openings each have a mullion and transom. The
west window is of two lights with flowing tracery. The west doorway is
moulded with crocketed hood and head stops. The south aisle is of five
bays, the windows pointed and having flowing tracery of various descriptions.
The gabled porch, at the left, has a pointed outer arch with attached columns
as responds. The north aisle is of five bays separated by buttresses and has
2-light windows. The east window is of three-lights with flowing tracery.
INTERIOR: four-bay nave arcades, with further bay on north side opening into
chancel. Northern arches of sandstone, 4-centred, and chamfered in two
orders. Piers octagonal with capitals. South arcade similar, but plastered
except for the west bay. The pointed tower arch is chamfered in two orders.
Nave roof has queen-post trusses with a central strut and with V-struts above
the collar. The east bay of the nave has a collar-rafter roof and the chancel
has bolted softwood trusses with arch-braced collars. Chancel has piscina,
and an early C14 effigy in an arched recess. A second defaced effigy of
similar date stands on a later stone base in the south aisle. Re-set on the
north wall of the north aisle are several C18 wall tablets. The timber pulpit
has carving in a Jacobean style, and at the west end of the south aisle is a
bread cupboard dated: "TP 1694". Windows contain late C19 glass. One window
in the south aisle dated 1865, by Powell.
Listing NGR: SK0601400735
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings