This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2435 / 52°14'36"N
Longitude: 0.7167 / 0°42'59"E
OS Eastings: 585571
OS Northings: 264063
OS Grid: TL855640
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.80Q
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CWQ1
Entry Name: Tower House
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466768
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SE CROWN STREET
639-1/8/296 (East side)
12/07/72 Nos.1 AND 2
Former Penny Bank, now offices. Dated 1846 on the north front.
Possibly by LN Cottingham (1787-1847). In red brick with
purple brick diapering and stone dressings; roofs with shaped
tiles and elaborately patterned moulded brick shafted
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. 4 window range on the West
front and 5 window range on the North front facing the Norman
Tower. The windows are stone dressed, 2- 3- and 4-light,
double banked, traceried. There is a 7-light window on the
ground storey of the North front and a central chimney-stack,
2 gables, and a doorway with a pitched canopy and elaborately
carved stone arch carried on ogee brackets and short pillars.
The North end of the East front has a gable with heavy moulded
brick coping, a stone oriel window on the 1st storey and 2
narrow traceried windows below. The East front has a low
parapet with a moulded tile coping. A 'Tudor' arched door with
carved spandrels is set in a rectangular, stone dressed
opening. A stone band runs between storeys and there is a
moulded stone capped plinth. The East front adjoins Tower
Cottages which is in the same style and is described under
INTERIOR: extensive cellars, part brick-lined, part flint;
heavy re-used main beams to the ceilings. Some surviving
original features inside, including the ground storey ceilings
which have plaster cornices with Tudor flower ornament. Newel
stair with a round newel post moulded on the top storey.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 150).
Listing NGR: TL8557164063
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings