This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3841 / 51°23'2"N
Longitude: -0.3494 / 0°20'57"W
OS Eastings: 514960
OS Northings: 166295
OS Grid: TQ149662
Mapcode National: GBR 6H.DMP
Mapcode Global: VHFTZ.WGNT
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 24 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466741
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT10
Electoral Ward/Division: Hinchley Wood and Weston Green
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weston
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ16NW ELMBRIDGE CHESTNUT AVENUE
374/2/10041 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Anglican church. 1938-9 by Edward Maufe. White rendered brick, with pantiled roofs, in Romanesque style with continental details. 5-bay nave, with choir and sanctuary flanked by Lady chapel and children's corner, and two storey vestry block. Asymmetrical tower. Narrow narthex at (liturgical) west end under balcony. The west end with stepped arch surround incorporating 'osbergian' shaped west window and recessed double entrance doors under decorated porch inscribed 'Venite Exultemus Deo'. Nave with round-headed windows, each with leaded lights, three transoms and central mullion. Casement fasteners in the form of half-sunbursts. Round window at (liturgical) east end, over memorial plaques. Children's corner under tower with stepped round window behind slate sill. Tower has a row of small louvres under broad, swept eaves, surmounted by cross. Smaller square windows to vestries and narthex.
INTERIOR: Nave with groin-vaulted passage aisles, the main space with exposed pine timbers, and wood block floor. Centrally-placed font at west end with lancet tracery to bowl. Round chancel arch, with pulpit built into angle. Choir stalls by Maufe reached up two steps, with a further step and low rails to sanctuary. Sanctuary with altar, and stepped sedilia between columns with unmoulded capitals. To left, squint with similar Romanesque columns in Maufe's distinctive style give on to Lady chapel. Lady chapel reached under round arch, with stalls and altar rails, and a painting set behind the altar.
Included as an excellent, complete and little-altered example of Maufe's mature style, designed as work on his Guildford Cathedral was beginning. Its manipulation of light within carefully conceived spaces places it among his best works, while the controlled massing and unusual design of the exterior gives it exceptional presence.
(Source: Incorporated Church Building Society, Fifty Modern Churches, 1947, pp. 102-5)
Listing NGR: TQ1496066295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings