History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints (Church of England)

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Marston, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.834 / 51°50'2"N

Longitude: -0.7028 / 0°42'10"W

OS Eastings: 489478

OS Northings: 215837

OS Grid: SP894158

Mapcode National: GBR D2P.WNH

Mapcode Global: VHDV6.R5TD

Entry Name: Church of All Saints (Church of England)

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355776

Location: Tring Rural, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring Rural

Built-Up Area: Long Marston

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text

TRING RURAL STATION ROAD
SP 8915
(East side)
Long Marston
8/139
Church of All Saints
- ( C of E)
- II
Parish church. 1882-3 by Carpenter & Ingelow, site given by Sir
Nathaniel Mayer de Rothschild, porch with vestry at W added 1907-8 by
William Huckvale in place of intended tower, 6 buttresses added on S,
and E wall reconstructed (tablet in porch). Many features dating from
C12 to C17 built into church removed from old church of All Saints
(q.v.), and from elsewhere. Flint, knapped uncoursed facing with Bath
stone dressings and steep machine-made red tile roofs. A tall 5-bays
church in Dec style, without structurally separate chancel, set back
from road in older graveyard, with continuous N aisle under roof and low
twin-gabled porch-with-vestry at W end. Reticulated tracery to 3 large
3-light windows on S side at W part and small 2-light similar window to
E bay, all with hoodmoulds. Small pointed S door with chamfered jambs,
plank door, hoodmould, and gabled tiled bellcote and bell over,
bracketed out below eaves level. Elaborate entrance into S side of W
porch in Dec style with moulded arches and jamb shafts, 2 steps to
double doors with decorative hinge plates. Diagonal buttresses to E end,
fine 5-light pointed E window with reticulated tracery, and cross as
finial to gable parapet. Wheel-cross finial to W gable over 3-light
segmental-headed traceried W window with separate quatrefoil in circle
over. 2-light traceried pointed window to each gable of lower W block.
Moulded string course at sill level of E window, and added buttresses
each have chamfered plinth and moulded base. E end of N aisle set back
with 3-light traceried C19 window but other windows in aisle are re-used
medieval features, and there is the round head of a small Romansque
window set in the N wall next N door. Spacious interior with continuous
boarded waggon roof with moulded battens, tie-beam and king-post trusses
with semi-circular bracing to collar, and small braces below on stone
corbels. Trusses rebuilt 1907 after movement in S wall. Chancel marked
off from 3-bays nave by heavy C15 tie-beam with massive cusped curved
braces and traceried spandrels, brought from Weston Turville old rectory
in 1883 then being pulled down on advice of Sir Gilbert Scott. Similar
cusping on arched wind-braces to 2 E bays of N aisle, the framing of
which is also from the same source (Vincent(1983)7). Tall 5-bays N
arcade has arches and caps of 1883 carried on elaborate shafted C15
clunch piers and bases from the parish church at Tring (q.v.) then under
repair by the same architects. The nave and chancel of the old church of
All Saints Long Marston were carefully demolished in 1883 and among the
many features transfered to the new church were: C14 octagonal stone
font with bowl cut back; C14 trefoil piscina with shelf in S wall of
chancel; C15 trefoil piscina in E part of N aisle; early C17 hexagonal
pulpit with 2 tiers of carved panels; C15 traceried oak screen with
central opening enclosing E end of N aisle; C18 former altar rails now
at chancel steps; C17 oak altar table in N aisle; 2 C17 oak chests;
bell dated 1800 in bellcote; framed and painted benefactions board over
S door; organ bought from Tring church in 1863; C13 recess in N wall of
chancel with pointed arch and dog-tooth ornament; C14 arch and moulded
label to S door; wide segmental pointed arched recess in E part of N
aisle with C12 architectural fragments built in; N doorway possibly C14;
2-light lancet N window parts of which c.1230; a wide round arched
recess in N aisle of late C12 work with roll moulding between bands of
dog-tooth to arch carried on small shafts with scalloped caps and square
abaci, and drain in base; 2 2-light C14 N windows with trefoil lights
and quatrefoil over (one window has square recess in splay); similar but
smaller window in W wall of N aisle much renewed. The tabernacled stone
reredos came in 1884 from St. Andrews, Wells Street, London and 5
painted figures were installed in 1933 designed by Sir Albert
Richardson. Minton encaustic tiled pavement in chancel. Free-standing
polygonal 2-coloured brick chimney 1935 by Richardson. The alter cross
and candlesticks and 2 houseling benches designed by Sir Ninian Comper
1945. (VCH(1908) 291-2: RCHM(1911) 223 no. 3: Pevsner(1977)245:
Vincent (1983)).


Listing NGR: SP8947815837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.