This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5345 / 52°32'4"N
Longitude: -1.9848 / 1°59'5"W
OS Eastings: 401125
OS Northings: 292955
OS Grid: SP011929
Mapcode National: GBR 2DN.MB
Mapcode Global: VH9YN.KK1F
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 February 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077146
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219200
Location: Sandwell, B71
Electoral Ward/Division: West Bromwich Central
Built-Up Area: West Bromwich
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: West Bromwich All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SANDWELL MB ALL SAINTS WAY
SP 09 SW
5/1 Church of All Saints
Church. 1872 by Somers Clarke with C14 and C15 tower remaining from
earlier church. Rock-faced sandstone with tile roofs. Comprises a nave,
a tower at the west end of the south aisle, south porch, south vestry and
chapel, south aisle under a pitched roof, chancel, north porch and north
organ chamber. The tower has diagonal buttresses, and a west window of
three lights under a pointed head with reticulated tracery. On the south
side there is a sandstone sundial tablet. The bell openings are of two
trefoiled lights under a pointed head. The embattled parapet has corner
pinnacles. The west nave window is of five lights with Geometrical tracery.
The nave is of five bays to the north, separated by buttresses, and has
paired 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery. The north porch has a
parapet, and two windows to the north. The east window of the chancel is
of five lights with Geometrical tracery. On the south side there is a
single-storey vestry against the three-bay chancel. The south chapel is
of two bays and has 3-light windows with flat heads and intersecting tracery.
To the right of the chapel are two bays of the south aisle which have 3-light
windows with Geometrical tracery. Under the right-hand window is a mid-C20
doorway with canopy. In the east wall of the chapel is a worn plaque dated
"1691". On the west side it is dated "1871". Between it and the south
porch is one bay. The gabled porch has a pointed arch moulded in two orders.
Interior: set into the wall at the base of the tower is a baluster shaft,
possibly late C11. The six-bay arcade has pointed arches chamfered in two
orders springing from piers with moulded capitals. The two western bays
of the nave were partitioned from the remainder in the mid-C20 to form a
coffee bar and gallery. The three western bays of the south aisle have an
inserted first floor. The roof is boarded and has scissor-braced trusses.
The pointed chancel arch is moulded and has corbelled shafts as responds.
The font, said to be C15, is octagonal with shields carved within quatrefoils.
The chancel is lined with sandstone and has a boarded barrel roof and mosaic
floor. The east window has three inner arches carried on shafts. Between
the chancel and south chapel is a two-bay arcade. The chapel roof has one
scissor-braced king-post truss. Windows contain some C19 glass by Powell.
(VCH, pp 53-55; BoE, p 302).
Listing NGR: SP0112592955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings