History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eccles, Norwich, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4648 / 52°27'53"N

Longitude: 0.9709 / 0°58'15"E

OS Eastings: 601913

OS Northings: 289356

OS Grid: TM019893

Mapcode National: GBR SF9.D94

Mapcode Global: VHKC9.S94T

Plus Code: 9F42FX7C+W9

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 July 1958

Last Amended: 9 February 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220373

Location: Quidenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Quidenham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Eccles St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


7/126 Church of St. Mary (formerly
16.7.58 listed as Church of St. Mary
the Virgin)
- II*
Parish church, Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave roof slate, chancel plain
tiled. West tower C12, nave and demolished south aisle very late C13, altered
C15, chancel late C13 altered C15, church restored 1885 and additional
restoration of tower 1950-51. 2 stage round tower. One square light to west,
3 arched splayed lights to ringing chamber. String course below Y traceried
2-light belfry windows, some without mullions and blocked with brick.
Crenellated parapet rebuilt in brick and flint. South aisle demolished c.1740
leaving remains of east and west window jambs. South aisle door re-set into
blocked west arcade bay : 2 orders of sunk quadrants. Arcades blocked to
capitals C18 with brick and glazed in arch with leaded lights. Parapet between
nave and chancel. 2 C19 2-light panel traceried south chancel windows above
string course which rises, square, over arched Priest's door. Diagonal east
buttresses frame 3-light Perpendicular east window of 1870. North side windows
all C19 2-light to chancel, 3-light to nave, 2 flat north nave buttresses.
C15 gabled north porch of knapped flint to north face, coursed flint east
and west. 2 fleuron trails to jambs and arch, the former divided by column
with leaf capitals. Blocked statuary niche over door. Interior. 4 bay arcade
to south of quatrefoil piers and moulded capitals under arches of sunk
quadrants, hollows and rolls. North porch now vestry with inner door late
C14 : jambs hollow and wave moulded separated by wide casement containing
relief reticulation trail. Plain octagonal font with grotesque heads under
bowl. Low pointed tower arch below Royal Arms of George II. Pews and roof
1885, the latter with moulded tie beams, wall plate, collars and 2 tiers
staggered butt purlins. Rood beam and cross with Christ and S.S. Mary and
John 1959. Chancel arch has fleurons and double wave mouldings and blind
tracery panels right and left, all C15. Chancel roof 1885 : 2 tiers butt
purlins and arched collars. Monument to Samuel Bircham 1732 on north chancel
wall beside blocked window and door arch. Fine late C13 double piscina of
2 moulded arches on columns with square hood containing trefoil spandrel
figures. Early C17 pulpit panelled with flower scroll below top rail, which
is supported on carved brackets.

Listing NGR: TM0191389356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.