This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4693 / 52°28'9"N
Longitude: 0.9887 / 0°59'19"E
OS Eastings: 603104
OS Northings: 289901
OS Grid: TM031899
Mapcode National: GBR SF9.4T3
Mapcode Global: VHKCB.361D
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220388
Location: Quidenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: Quidenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wilby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 NW QUIDENHAM Church Road, Wilby
7/141 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Mid C14 and C15. Flint with ashlar quoins and plain tiled
roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower, diagonal buttresses
to west, flat to east but all with flushwork. 3-light west window with
mouchette tracery and lower portion blocked in 1630's. String courses divide
stages. Circular ringing chamber lights with quatrefoils and 2-light louvred
belfry windows with single reticulation unit. Crenellated parapet. C15 gabled
south porch, the arch roll and wave moulded with fleurons below brick relieving
arch and statutory niche. Coped parapet. 2-light side windows under square
brick hoods. Porch roof on arched braces, moulded purlins and ridge piece.
Inner south door of 2 orders of sunk quadrants and hood on head stops. 2
flat buttresses to nave, one C14 2-light ogeed window with reticulation within
larger unit. 3-light 4-centred C15 panel window next east. Raised coping
of brick divides nave and chancel. Chancel has flat and diagonal eastern
buttresses. 3 2-light cusped Y windows to south, 2 to north. Priest's door
south with hood interrupting string course which runs round chancel further
punctuated by buttresses. Fine 3-L east window of intersecting type repeating
2 designs of cusped mouchettes and petals. Hollow moulded jambs and hood
mould on labels. Blocked circular roof light with quatrefoil in heightened
parapet. 2 3-light C15 panel windows to north nave and C14 ogeed north door
with 2 orders of wave mouldings. C20 brick buttress at west. Interior.
Remarkable for complete survival of furnishings of 1630's following fire of
1633. Gallery screen under tower with 2 doors, dated 1637, and 2 tiers turned
balusters. Gallery ceiling of timber with heavily moulded joists framing
square central bay containing circular quartered hatch with central boss.
Closed string ladder staircase with square newel and domed finial, moulded
central baluster, plain, handrail and moulded string, 10 sets of bench pews
with fleur-de-lys bench ends and some incised decoration. 4 box pews to east
retaining H or H hinges. Panelled triple decker pulpit under tester, the
pulpit with scrolled brackets supporting combined cornice and reading desk.
Base of screen. Communion rail with turned balusters under moulded top rail
with ball finials. Central gate with 2 tiers of similar balusters. Nave
roof also 1630's : tie beams with roll mouldings and tongue stops below wall
plate; moulded principals not aligned to ties on wall posts and braces; 3
tiers moulded butt purlins and roll moulded arched collars. Square poor box
on column dated 1638. Late C14 octagonal font, the bowl decorated with tracery
motifs in gables. Chancel arch with continuous lobes to responds and wave
moulded arch. Chancel roof of principals on wall posts with arched braces,
2 tiers butt purlins and collars. Cinquefoil piscina. Timber Royal Arms
of Charles I over south door. Remains of wall painting of St. Christopher
on north nave wall.
Listing NGR: TM0310489901
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings