This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7907 / 52°47'26"N
Longitude: 0.4301 / 0°25'48"E
OS Eastings: 563959
OS Northings: 324225
OS Grid: TF639242
Mapcode National: GBR N3D.1JM
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.L30X
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 15 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 222153
Location: North Wootton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: North Wootton
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/08/2018
TF 62 SW
(Formerly listed as The Priory sometimes known as Church Farmhouse)
House, late C16 and later, dated 1718. Shell carstone with brick dressings, pantiles, gable parapets. Double range of three bays and two storeys, front range with attics.
Earlier front range of three cells: axial stack between second and third bays with two lozenge shafts; central doorway with semi-circular headed door, formerly double leaved, part glazed with large pintle hinges of C18, carved spandrels; moulded doorcase, flat canopy supported by large scroll brackets and pair of wooden columns, wrought iron balustrade to canopy with some scrolls and twisted bars, wrought iron ramped returns acting as tie irons to facade wall through wooden pilaster strips. Part glazed door with glazing bars opening from first floor to canopy balcony, stone plaque above inscribed D/1718/A E
Flush sashes with glazing bars and four by four panes to ground floor left, large tripartite sash with glazing bars to right, both under flat arches; flush sashes to first floor, two to first bay, one to third bay; three roof dormers. Left return of two gables, that to front raised, each with internal stack and single storey addition with hipped pantile roof. Right return of two gables each with barge boards:C19 fully glazed canted bay window to ground floor of front range; blocked doorway to right and tall two-light casement to rear range. Rear: later C19 range of four bays, axial stack with two lozenge shafts as to front range between first and second bays; single storey single bay gabled extension between bays one and two having low circular window to left.
Interior: front range, ovolo moulded principal beams to ground floor left room, close ceiling joists with jewel stopped chamfers; principal staircase to central cell, pine open well closed string construction with turned balusters, ramped to landing balustrade; staircase to attic floor between left and central cell; roof of butt purlin construction with ridge piece, principal rafters of pine, purlins of oak. Rear range with through passage alongside front range.
The Priory of Wymondham,Norfolk, held land at North Wootton.
Listing NGR: TF6395924225
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings