This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7775 / 52°46'38"N
Longitude: 0.4302 / 0°25'48"E
OS Eastings: 564019
OS Northings: 322758
OS Grid: TF640227
Mapcode National: GBR N3D.TWK
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.LG22
Entry Name: South Wootton War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 February 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1454048
Location: South Wootton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: South Wootton
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
First World War memorial, erected around 1920.
War memorial, erected around 1920, dedicated to the fallen of the First World War.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is square in plan, constructed of stone, and takes the form of a Latin cross on a tall tapered shaft, square plinth and three-stepped base. The inscription was originally incised directly into the stone of the plinth, however polished stone plaques were added to the plinth around 2011, with inscribed and painted lettering. The plaque on the north elevation of the plinth is inscribed: ‘IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / OUR FALLEN HEROES / OF SOUTH WOOTTON / 1914 – 1918’. The nine names of the fallen are inscribed on the west elevation of the plinth. The memorial stands in a prominent location in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (listed at Grade II*), adjacent the path from Church Lane.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at South Wootton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The war memorial at South Wootton was erected in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary the Virgin around 1920, and is shown on the 1928 Ordnance Survey map. The memorial was restored around 2011, when inscribed plaques were added to the plinth.
South Wootton War Memorial, erected around 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as a modest but well-executed memorial.
* with the Church of St Mary (listed at Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings