This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7592 / 52°45'32"N
Longitude: 0.4624 / 0°27'44"E
OS Eastings: 566258
OS Northings: 320794
OS Grid: TF662207
Mapcode National: GBR P54.3PZ
Mapcode Global: WHKQ6.2XG4
Entry Name: Ruins of Church of St James at Tf 662 207
Listing Date: 20 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221934
Location: Bawsey, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE32
Civil Parish: Bawsey
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF 62 SE
1/1 Ruins of Church of St.
James (sometimes known
as Church of St Mary) at
TF 662 207
Ruined parish church, Cll. Carstone rubble with some flint, erratics and
Sandringham sandstone, stone dressings. Roofless. Central tower, nave and
chancel; part walls remaining. Axial square tower: north and east faces to
full height, both with large vertical cracks; lower west face; east angle of
south face; single splay semi-circular headed bell openings to east and north
with remains of external side shafts, string course below; long and short work
to quoins of north and east faces below string course; north face with some
putlog holes and remains of semi-circular headed single splay opening; 2 steep
gable lines to east, the lower possibly indicating a vaulted chancel roof.
South wall of chancel only, diagonal buttress and east jamb of 4-centred
window opening (complete opening extant in 1931); nave with diagonal
buttresses and remains of opposing north end south doorways. Interior:
semi-circular headed nave arch to tower of two orders, the inner with complete
zig-zag mouldings, the outer with incomplete double roll moulding, both
mouldings above former pairs of side shafts with cushion capitals, the only
shaft remaining to left. Plain semi-circular headed chancel arch with imposts
to tower. Tower arches to nave and chancel both with single roll moulding and
side shafts having cushion capitals to angles of jambs. The church in
isolated hill top position, has been in ruins since before 1770. The ruins
are much diminished since 1931; C.W. Messent: Ruined Churches of Norfolk 1931,
p.10. Scheduled Ancient Monument, Norfolk 147.
Listing NGR: TF6625820794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings