This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9486 / 52°56'55"N
Longitude: 0.5126 / 0°30'45"E
OS Eastings: 568905
OS Northings: 341980
OS Grid: TF689419
Mapcode National: GBR P2W.4DV
Mapcode Global: WHKPF.V48V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Last Amended: 29 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221238
Location: Old Hunstanton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Old Hunstanton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hunstanton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
In the entry for OLD HUNSTANTON CHURCH STREET (east)
Church of St Mary
The item shall be amended to read: CHURCH ROAD (east)
Church of St Mary
TF 64 SE OLD HUNSTANTON CHURCH STREET (east)
1/56 Church of St. Mary.
Parish Church. C14 fabric by 2 members of the Le Strange family of Hunstanton
Hall. Ambitiously restored and reroofed c.1860 by Henry Le Strange (1815-
1862) developer of New Hunstanton : "the late Mr. L'Estrange undertook the
repair and restoration of the entire ... was completed from the designs of
that accomplished gentleman, the work being carried out by masons and
carpenters under his immediate and supervision". Hunstanton and its neighbour-
hood PW,(1864), GW, (1873) pp. 33-34.) Similarities with St. Edmund's New
Hunstanton (1865 - 1869) suggest the involvement of Frederick Preedy architect,
Le Strange's cousin. Flint, stone dressings, lead roofs. North west tower,
nave and clerestorey, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north
vestries. Tower : set off buttresses at west, south door, c.1300, square sound
hole openings to bell stage, 2-light Decorated belfry stage windows, battle-
mented parapet. Nave 5-light west window, geometric tracery c.1860, sound
hole in gable, 3 trefoils in segmental triangle. North aisle 2 2-light
windows, south aisle 3-light west window, 4 2-light south windows, one 3-light
east window, all c.1860 Geometric - Decorated tracery. 5 circular clerestorey
windows, alternate trefoil and cinquefoil tracery. South porch 1864, arch
with cinquefoil bar tracery, north and south 2 roundels with flowing tracery.
Chancel 3 2-light south and one north window, Decorated c.1860, 5-light east
window, geometric tracery c.1860. Lean-to vestries to north-east,
c.1900. Interior : south porch roof massive over wind braced. Doors and
internal porch 1864. Nave 5 bay north and south arcades, alternate rounded
and octagonal piers,stone seats at base,single hollow chamfered pointed arches.
Massive overstructured nave roof, decorative wind-bracing, arched double
scissor braces resting alternately on carved Apostle head corbels, by
Earp (L.L. Gore, The History of Hunstanton. (1983)p.58.) At west Norman font,
central pier with 4 detached angle columns, scalloped underside to bowl,
attached colonnettes at angles, steps. Mosaic on floor by Earp. West window
single stained light c.1861. Benches c.1860. Black and yellow tiled floor
South aisle east window, stained, High Victorian, Tree of Jesse by Henry Le
Strange, who painted roof of Ely Cathedral nave. North aisle : painted royal
arms William IV (1830-1837). At east table tomb with brass to Sir Roger
Le Strange (obit 1506), an esquire of the body to Henry VIII. Perpendicular
blank tracery panels with brass coats of arms, brass with figure in armour,
tabard tunic under heraldic helm and 3 ogee canopies. Small figures in tabards
either side. Inscription but no religious iconography whatever. Originally
in chancel, replaced there c.1860, removed here in C20. Chancel : pulpit,
marble, stone and alabaster perhaps by Earp or Boulton of Cheltenham.
Perpendicular chancel arch with 7 light screen c.1500, polychrome dado with
12 Apostles, 7 light divisions, loft, restored c.1900 by Bodley. On north
Perpendicular stone recessed altar tomb 1485 of Henry Le Strange, perhaps
used as an Easter Sepulchre Tomb chest 4-centred arch, parapet with coats
of arms. Arched, boarded and coved roof, angle corbels c.1861. Stalls neo-
Perpendicular, c1920 by Sir Walter Tapper. Reredos stone, mastic, glazed
tiles, alabaster, marble, painted angels in roundels by Frederick Preedy (Gore
Hunstanton p.58). East window 1867 in memory of Henry Le Strange, vivid High
Victorian colour by Preedy. See also The Story of Hunstanton Parish Church.,
anon, Gloucester, 1948, passim.
Listing NGR: TF6890541980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings