This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9019 / 52°54'6"N
Longitude: 0.5602 / 0°33'36"E
OS Eastings: 572294
OS Northings: 336899
OS Grid: TF722368
Mapcode National: GBR P3J.4FJ
Mapcode Global: WHKPN.LB05
Entry Name: Magazine Cottage
Listing Date: 28 August 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221274
Location: Sedgeford, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sedgeford
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sedgeford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 73 NW
DOCKING ROAD (north)
Powder magazine or armoury converted into a cottage. Said to have been built during the Civil War c.1643 by the prominent Royalist Sir Hamon Le Strange of Hunstanton Hall, Lord of the Manor of Sedgeford, who was besieged in King's Lynn by Parliamentary forces in 1643.
Coursed and galletted carstone with brick dressings stuccoed over to represent limestone, rusticated quoins and dressings. Red pantiled roof. Restored by C.F. Rolfe Neville, Lord of the Manor and details largely of C19.
Single storey with attic, part-basement lean-to to north. South elevation with central three-light four centred Gothic arched window with drip mould, rustication and voussoirs, three arched lights, fixed C20 casements, iron stay bars removed. Two plain stone rectangular tablets with iron hooks beneath. Quoins, modillion eaves cornice, parapet gables with stone coping, kneelers with dentil brackets with ball finials at eaves level and at apex of gable. West gable with three-light window as on south front, east and west gable with semi-circular headed attic window with rendered surrounds with imposts and keystone, fixed wooden framed lights. East gable with central door with semi-circular rusticated architrave surround with horizontal rusticated blocks and voussoirs to arch, C19 door with carved shields in spandrels and glazing over temporarily removed. Steeply pitched roof, with moulded ridge tiles dismantled. To east three steps up to door with carstone wall with stone coping, octagonal brick dwarf piers with moulded brick caps and finials as terminations. To north partly contemporary lean-to, carstone with pantiled roof, one storey with basement. Rusticated quoins, drip moulds over all openings. Basement casement windows, entrance door on west from area. Three ground floor east and west slit windows with rusticated dressings. Catslide roof with small semi-circular fixed light dormer inserted between two twin octagonal brick stuccoed stacks with moulded caps.
Interior with inserted C19 floor supported by temporarily dismantled oak transverse beams with arched spandrels with carved Rolfe heraldic devices and initials, attic with C17 chamfered arched braced principals and purlins.
Complex wall paintings described in 1920 no longer extant: see Holcombe Ingelby The Charm of a Village, (nd. c.1920) pp.95-98. R. W. Ketton-Cremer, Norfolk in the Civil War (1969) passim.
Listing NGR: TF7229436899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings