This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7917 / 51°47'30"N
Longitude: -0.6589 / 0°39'32"W
OS Eastings: 492589
OS Northings: 211186
OS Grid: SP925111
Mapcode National: GBR F4N.N6V
Mapcode Global: VHFRW.J7JB
Entry Name: The Clock House
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Last Amended: 29 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355727
Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23
Civil Parish: Tring
Built-Up Area: Tring
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Tring
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TRING MANSION DRIVE
11/91 The Clock House, Tring Park
21.9.51 (formerly listed as stables
to the Mansion, Tring Park)
Stable block, now school dormitory. '1709' on rainwaterheads, for
William Gore, possibly by Gibbs. Plum brick with red brick dressings to
openings, red rubbed arches, stone cornices and urns. Steep roofs now
slated. A large 2-storeys block facing E with taller projecting centre
surmounted by clock and 4 stone urns. Arcaded octagonal Doric cupola now
missing. A striking Baroque design. Simple 5 windows long wings with
terminal pilaster, tall round headed windows, slightly recessed box
sashes with small panes and radial pattern in head, 6-panel door in
lower part of middle window, smaller square-headed windows to 1st floor
with small panes and moulded sills, and moulded stone cornice surmounted
by brick parapet which appear to be additions. Wide projecting centre
has square corner piers linked by a chamfered plinth, wide stone moulded
cornice, brick parapet with stone copings, surmounted by tall gadrooned
stone urns. Breaking middle of parapet 2 higher brick piers with similar
tall stone urns flank a higher section with swept moulded copings, with
octagonal framed large wooden clockface. 3 simple tall round headed
flush box sash windows to 1st floor. Central painted wooden Corinthian
doorcase with fluted pilasters, full entablature with fielded panel
frieze, and cornice breaking forward over parallel end blocks and
central block over keystone in archivolt. 8-panel fielded double doors
with round headed fanlight and bolection surround. Door flanked by 2
projecting moulded brick aedicules with moulded cornice and hemicyle
headed brick niche with stone base and square-headed flush box sash
window, curved on plan, set in back. Round headed lower door openings
next corners with panelled doors and semi-circular radial fanlights.
Late C20 glazed block at front and buildings linked to rear not of
special interest. (Pevsner(1977) 370).
Listing NGR: SP9258911186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings