History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Mill Tring Baptist Church with Adjoining Schoolroom and 2 Cottages,in Graveyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8045 / 51°48'16"N

Longitude: -0.6595 / 0°39'34"W

OS Eastings: 492522

OS Northings: 212616

OS Grid: SP925126

Mapcode National: GBR F4G.VF5

Mapcode Global: VHFRP.JX60

Entry Name: New Mill Tring Baptist Church with Adjoining Schoolroom and 2 Cottages,in Graveyard

Listing Date: 21 September 1951

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355729

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring

Built-Up Area: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tring

Listing Text

TRING NEW ROAD
SP 91 SW
(South side)
New Mill
4/93
New Mill Tring Baptist
21.9.51
Church (formerly listed
as Baptist Chapel) with
adjoining Schoolroom and
2 Cottages, in graveyard
- II
Chapel. Stone plaque on front '1689/REBUILT/1818', Sunday School at rear
rebuilt 1895, 2 small C18 cottages attached facing into graveyard.
Chapel in red brick with wide plastered soffit to eaves of hipped slate
roof. Plum brick Sunday School with stone chamfered lintels and steep
slate roof with bracketed verge overhang. Cottages in red brick with
steep old red tile roof. A simple 2-storeys rectangular chapel facing E
with its N flank on roadside. Symmetrical E front with 3 recessed sash
windows on upper floor with 8/8 panes and segmental heads under
segmental gauged arches. Similar windows flank central round arched
entrance with 2 stone steps, 8-panel flush beaded double doors, and
matching round headed panel over. 3 wide-spaced windows on each floor to
N and S sides (wide pilasters between on S). Pine panelled interior with
U-shaped gallery on columns and pulpit central at W. 2 storeys Sunday
School entered in gabled N end on roadside. Early C19 gravestones built
into rear wall. 2 small 2-storeys cottages backing onto road and facing
S into graveyard. Each has 2 windows on each floor and door in middle.
2-light C18 leaded casements survive in house next Sunday School. The
New Mill Baptist Church was founded in 1655 and is the origin of many
later churches in the area.


Listing NGR: SP9252212616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.