History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 115 (Folly Bridge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8165 / 51°48'59"N

Longitude: -0.6407 / 0°38'26"W

OS Eastings: 493794

OS Northings: 213970

OS Grid: SP937139

Mapcode National: GBR F4H.0TM

Mapcode Global: VHFRP.VL4T

Entry Name: British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 115 (Folly Bridge)

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355683

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Marsworth

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

TRING BRITISH RAIL:
SP 91 SW
MIDLAND REGION
LONDON-RUGBY LINE
4/46 Bridge No. 115
- (Folly Bridge)
GV II
Partly in Marsworth Parish, Bucks. Road bridge over railway at Tring
Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert Stephenson for the London and Birmingham
Railway Company. Brown brick with stone impost bands, skewbacks,
cornice, and parapet copings. Northern parapet rebuilt for safety
reasons in red brick with triangular section concrete copings. A long
narrow three-arched bridge with working controlled by traffic lights on
the B488 road, where it crosses the great Tring Cutting, 2½ miles long
and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring segmental arch in middle over
trackbed with slender rectangular pier at foot of earth slope on each
side, and tall opening through each pier with round arched head and
bottom. Slightly lower segmental 7-ring side arches to abutments buried
in earth slope. Wide unmoulded stone cornice at roadway level with brick
parapet and rectangular terminal piers with weathered stone copings
remaining on S side. The cutting was made necessary by Stephenson's
decision to have a maximum gradient of 1/330 on the line, and there is a
well known lithograph by J.C. Bourne showing an army of navvies
excavating it. The line was opened 9 April 1838. The county boundary
with Buckinghamshire follows the centre-line of the road over the
bridge. (Leleux(1976)13-15.).


Listing NGR: SP9379413970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.