History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 114 (Parkhill Bridge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.81 / 51°48'36"N

Longitude: -0.6332 / 0°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 494328

OS Northings: 213258

OS Grid: SP943132

Mapcode National: GBR F4H.GRK

Mapcode Global: VHFRP.ZR4T

Plus Code: 9C3XR968+2P

Entry Name: British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 114 (Parkhill Bridge)

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355684

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Description

TRING BRITISH RAIL:
SP 91 Sl4
MIDLAND REGION
LONDON-RUGBY LINE
4/47 Bridge No. 114
- (Parkhill Bridge)
GV II
Road bridge over railway at Tring Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert
Stephenson for the London and Birmingham Railway Company. Brown brick
with stone impost bands, skewbacks, cornice, and parapet copings. A long
narrow three-arched bridge taking an access road across the great Tring
Cutting, 2½ miles long and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring
segmental arch in middle over trackbed with slender rectangular pier at
foot of earth slope on each side, and tall opening through each pier
with round arched top and bottom. Slightly lower segmental side arches
to abutments hidden in earth slope. Wide unmoulded stone cornice
at roadway level with brick parapets, rectangular terminal piers and
weathered stone copings. The cutting was made necessary by Stephenson's
decision to have a maximum gradient on the line of 1/330, and there is a
well known lithograph by J.C. Bourne showing an army of navvies
excavating it. The line was opened 9 April 1838 (Lelux(1976)13-15).


Listing NGR: SP9432813258

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.