History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 113

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8042 / 51°48'15"N

Longitude: -0.6263 / 0°37'34"W

OS Eastings: 494810

OS Northings: 212617

OS Grid: SP948126

Mapcode National: GBR F4H.Y6V

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.3X79

Entry Name: British Rail Midland Region London Rugby Line Bridge Number 113

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355685

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

TRING BRITISH BAIL:
SP 91 SW
MIDLAND REGION
LONDON-RUGBY LINE
4/48 Bridge No. 113
-
GV II
Accommodation bridge over railway at Tring Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert
Stephenson for the London and Birmingham Railway Company. Brown brick
with stone impost bands, skewbacks, cornice, and parapet copings. A long
narrow three-arched bridge joining land separated by the great Tring
Cutting, 2½ miles long and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring
segmental arch in middle over trackbed with slender rectangular pier at
foot of earth slope on each side, and tall opening through each pier
with round-arched head and bottom. Slightly lower segmental 7-ring side
arches to abutments buried in earth slope. Wide unmoulded stone cornice
at roadway level with brick parapets, rectangular terminal piers and
weathered stone copings. The cutting was made necessary by Stephenson's
decision to have a maximum gradient of 1/330 on the line, and there is a
well known lithograph by J.C. Bourne showing an army of navvies
excavating it. The line was opened 9 April 1838. The south side of the
bridge is in Aldbury parish. (Leleux(1976)13-15).


Listing NGR: SP9481012617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.