History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bridgewater Monument

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8083 / 51°48'29"N

Longitude: -0.5943 / 0°35'39"W

OS Eastings: 497011

OS Northings: 213118

OS Grid: SP970131

Mapcode National: GBR F4K.LKK

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.NT54

Entry Name: The Bridgewater Monument

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355639

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

In the entry for:

ALDBURY RINGSHALL ROAD
SP 91 SE
(west side)
Moneybury Hill
5/3 The Bridgewater
14.5.52 Monument

GV II

The grade shall be amended to read: Grade II*


------------------------------------

ALDBURY RINGSHALL ROAD
SP 91 SE
(West side)
Moneybury Hill
5/3 The Bridgewater
14.5.52 Monument
CV II
Monumental column. 1831-2 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for Lord Farnborough
as executor to will of 8th Earl of Bridgewater. Built by Philip Nowell
of Pimlico 1831-. Pedestal inscribed c.1833 'IN HONOUR OF/FRANCIS, THIRD
DUKE OF BRIDGEWATER/"FATHER OF INLAND NAVIGATION"/1832'. Grey micaceous
granite, steps and interior of base in yellow freestone, finial a giant
copper urn, wrought iron for balustrade round top, handrail and grill at
entrance. A splendid neo-Classical monument in the form of a fluted
giant Greek Doric column about 40m high surmounted by an urn, the abacus
a viewing platform, with a tectonic stepped cubical base and battered
high plinth with 2 offsets and tall vertical projections in the middle
of each side. Rectangular entrance up 2 steps in E projection has plain
surround with converging uprights, and faces the long, designed vista
eastwards to the family seat, Ashridge House in Little Gaddesden parish
q.v. Inscription quoted is inscribed with sunk sans serif lettering.
Contemporary brass plate in entrance passage inscribed 'THIS COLUMN WAS
ERECTED CONFORMABLE WITH THE INTENTION OF JOHN WILLIAM EARL OF
BRIDGEWATER ACCORDING TO THE TESTAMENTARY DIRECTION OF FRANCIS HENRY
EARL OF BRIDGEWATER AND WITH THE APPROBATION OF CHARLOTTE C. ANNE
COUNTESS OF BRIDGEWATER IN HONOUR OF FRANCIS THIRD DUKE OF BRIDGEWATER,
WHO BY DEVOTING THE ENERGIES OF HIS MIND TO THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THE
MOST SPLENDID WORKS OF INLAND NAVIGATION OPENED A NEW FIELD TO NATIONAL
INDUSTRY AND RENDERED THE MOST IMPORTANT SERVICES TO THE COMMERCIAL
INTERESTS OF HIS COUNTRY'. The monument stands on a spur at the highest
point in the parish, 731ft above ordnance datum. Kelly states that it
was intended in commemoration of the completion of the Grand Junction
Canal. The column is a formal monument to celebrate the canal era, built
at its height and before the coming of the railways. (VCH(1908)143:
Kelly(1914)19: Pevsner(1977)65: Derek Linstrum Sir Jeffry Wyatville:
Architect to the King Oxford(1972)229).


Listing NGR: SP9701113118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.