This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8106 / 51°48'37"N
Longitude: -0.6055 / 0°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 496230
OS Northings: 213354
OS Grid: SP962133
Mapcode National: GBR F4J.HQ8
Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.GR7D
Entry Name: Stocks House
Listing Date: 21 May 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355660
Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23
Civil Parish: Aldbury
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Tring
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD
SP 91 SE
5/24 Stocks House
Country house, now a country club. 1773 rebuilt on new site for
Arnold Duncombe, enlarged in late C18 to double depth with 2 rear (N)
wings, late C19 3-storeys NW service wing and other alterations in early
C20 for Mrs Humphrey Ward the novelist (family occupied house
1892-1922). A girl's school up to 1972. Stuccoed brick with moulded
architectural features and steep hipped tiled roofs with parapets.
Originally facing S, the plan is the principal evidence for the
development of the house. Phase 1 had 2 large S rooms flanking an
entrance hall leading to a rear stair hall, with a 3rd room (?library)
on its W side with a N projecting chimney. Phase 2 added a small room on
N of library. Phase 3 added a room set back at the E end (now the
entrance lobby approached from E). Phase 4 added a second rear wing on
E, and Phase 5 added a new dining room and billiard room for the
Humphrey Wards with bay window to drawing room and 3 storeys NW wing.
The old front porch was then removed and the free-standing staircase is
of the early C20. 2 storeys and attics, with 6 windows and 3 dormers to
each main front. Stringcourse, cornice and parapets. Sash windows with
6/6 panes. Ivy covered NE block with 2 similar sash windows on each of 3
floors. Each front has a projecting central feature, one with a bay
window with 3 windows to each floor, and on S a tripartite window with
pediment over and a bow window below. Sir Walter Scott is said to have
stayed at the house and to have based the name Ivanhoe on the nearby
village of Ivinghoe. Frequent visitors to Mrs Humphrey Ward were her
relations of the Trevelyan, Arnold and Huxley families.
(RCHM Typescript: Pevsner (1977) 65: Davis (1980) No 3).
Listing NGR: SP9623013354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings