This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6888 / 52°41'19"N
Longitude: -0.6882 / 0°41'17"W
OS Eastings: 488767
OS Northings: 310934
OS Grid: SK887109
Mapcode National: GBR DSS.DVG
Mapcode Global: WHGLM.DPJ1
Entry Name: Home (Or Park) Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078223
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355249
Location: Burley, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Burley
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Cottesmore, Barrow St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
The following building shall be included:
SK 81 SE BURLEY BURLEY ON THE HILL
3/173 Home (or Park)
House, formerly estate cottages. Circa 1795, by John Nash, with circa 1840 and
later C19 extensions. Coursed stone rubble-with ashlar quoins; extensions in
painted brick; both with thatched roofs with gabled and half-hipped ends. Brick
axial and gable end stacks.
The original pair of cottages to south are an L-shaped plan cottage ornee with
verandah in angle on front left and integral outshuts on right and at rear. In
circa 1840 it was converted into one house and a wing was built at the rear (north)
Later in C19 another wing was built in the rear right hand (NE) angle. The late C19
attached outhouse block at the back was converted into a cottage annexe in late C20.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2-window south front, the right hand in projecting wing
with half-hipped roof, first floor 2-light casement and canted bay below with
thatched canopy and sashes; to the left the thatched roof is swept down over a
verandah on thin iron posts (replacing rustic posts). Under verandah 3-light
casement with doorway to left and with hipped thatched roof dormer in roof above.
Left hand (west) return has French casement with margin panes and trellis porch and
outshut carried around corner to rear with catslide roof. Outshut on right (E) side
similar wrapped around rear. Wings at rear have casement windows and 2 sashes on
ground floor on left (west) side. Former outhouse at rear linked to rear wings by
wall forming small yard.
Interior: Most of the internal joinery is circa 1840 including panelled doors and
relatively large open-well staircase with open string, stick balusters and mahogany
handrail wreathed over ornate curtail newel. Three early C19 chimney-pieces with
basket grates in chambers and circa late C17 or early C18 bolection moulded marble
chimney-pieces in front righthand room probably from Burley-on-the-Hill (house).
Vaulted cellar under rear (LH) wing.
Note:- Drawing of house in CRO marked as work of Mr Nash who was working with Repton
on the house and park at Burley-on-the-Hill in 1795-6.
Listing NGR: SK8876710934
Other nearby listed buildings