This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0578 / 52°3'27"N
Longitude: -2.2975 / 2°17'51"W
OS Eastings: 379697
OS Northings: 239972
OS Grid: SO796399
Mapcode National: GBR 0G8.VB1
Mapcode Global: VH93C.4J7W
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355179
Location: Welland, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Welland
Built-Up Area: Welland
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Welland
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
WELLAND CP B 4208
SO 73 NE
4/176 Church of St James
Church. 1875 by J W Hugall. Rubble with slate roofs and shingle spire.
Comprises a nave, north and south aisles, south-west tower, and lower chancel.
In the west wall of the nave are 3 stepped trefoiled lights under pointed heads
with trefoil. The tower has angle buttresses. The bell openings have 2 pointed
openings with stone louvres under a pointed head. The broach spire has
lucarnes. A clock face on the west side below the bell stage is dated "1897".
The lower stage of the tower contains a porch with pointed south doorway. Above
it is a blind arcade of 3 pointed arches. The south aisle has windows of 3, 2
and 2 trefoiled pointed lights. A curved wall at the east end of the aisle
links it to the chancel. It contains 3 pointed lights. The south chancel
window is of 3 lights. The north aisle window are of 3, 2, 2 and 2 lights. The
north chancel window is of 3 cusped lights under a pointed head. The east
window is of 3 foiled lights with a foiled circle over. A crypt is let by a
3-light pointed window. Interior: arcades of 4 bays to north and 3 to south.
Arches are pointed with edge roll mouldings and spring from round piers banded
with alternate grey and yellow stone which have foliated capitals. Roof
trusses have arch-braced collars supporting king-posts turned to a round
section braced to the ridge. The inner order of the pointed chancel arch
springs from corbelled responds. At the north end of the south aisle is a
chapel with curved outer wall. A pointed arch in the north wall of the chancel
contains an organ. There are double sedilia and a piscina. The east window
contains good late C19 glass probably by Hardman. A decorated wall tablet in
memory of Thomas Evans (died 1671) is re-set on the wall of the north aisle.
Listing NGR: SO7969739972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings