This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5153 / 51°30'55"N
Longitude: -0.1262 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 530114
OS Northings: 181265
OS Grid: TQ301812
Mapcode National: GBR HB.TZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R5MP
Entry Name: Swiss Protestant Church
Listing Date: 15 January 1973
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078294
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477187
Location: Camden, London, WC2H
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081SW ENDELL STREET
798-1/105/386 (South West side)
Swiss Protestant Church
(Formerly Listed as:
(South West side)
No.79 (London Swiss Church))
Swiss Protestant church. 1853-4. By George Vulliamy.
Rusticated stucco. 2-storeyed symmetrical facade of 3 bays
with slightly projecting central entrance bay. Ionic pilasters
and engaged columns, with seraphim capitals, on a podium rise
through 2 storeys carrying the entablature with modillion
cornice and parapet with central feature of a pediment on
which a book emitting rays, surmounted by a ball at the apex;
matching balls at the corners of building. Parapet inscribed A
D EGLISE-SUISSE 1854. Central architraved doorway with
console-bracketed dentil cornice and double fielded panelled
doors, above which a continuous Vitruvian scroll type frieze
and a Diocletian window with console keystone with a seraphim.
Flanking bays with square-headed 1st floor windows and
round-arched ground floor window.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to be of Classical style
with 1st floor gallery at east end and apsed western
sanctuary. Vaulted roof carried on brackets.
Listing NGR: TQ3011481265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings