This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5359 / 51°32'9"N
Longitude: -0.1469 / 0°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 528621
OS Northings: 183510
OS Grid: TQ286835
Mapcode National: GBR C3.5M
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.DNPG
Entry Name: Gloucester Gate Bridge
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477248
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdalene Munster Sq.
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883NE GLOUCESTER GATE
798-1/76/574 Gloucester Gate Bridge
Bridge, formerly over the Cumberland Basin arm of Regent's
Canal, now dry. Dedication stone at north-west end dated 11
August 1877. By William Booth Scott, Engineer for the Vestry
of St Pancras; Contractors Kirk and Randall. Red and purple
brick with red sandstone. Central parapets cast-iron
(supported on cast-iron beams over tunnel entrance with
modillion brackets), flanking of sandstone; all in pierced
design with central bosses of stylised flowers. Abutments
flanking tunnel entrance (now sealed) surmounted by elaborate
bronze lampstandards in the form of candelabra (south-west
standard missing), repeating floral motif with foliage.
Inscribed "Gardner/Strand" and signed "Wm. Booth Scott". At
north-east end inset bronze bas relief plaque depicting the
martyrdom of St Pancras by CE Fucigna, presented by William
Thornton. Attached to both northern ends, cast-iron railings
with ball and spike finials leading to sandstone piers
surmounted by foliated features. North and south abutments
under sandstone parapets, red brick with recessed panels
containing rubbed brick roundels.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Cumberland Basin arm was constructed
1813-16 running to the west of Regent's Park and Albany Street
and ending in a basin at Cumberland Market. Filled in 1942-3.
Listing NGR: TQ2862183510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings