This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.211 / 51°12'39"N
Longitude: 1.1621 / 1°9'43"E
OS Eastings: 620951
OS Northings: 150504
OS Grid: TR209505
Mapcode National: GBR W0H.0LQ
Mapcode Global: VHLGW.3T6J
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 15 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477274
Location: Barham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Barham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR2050 BARHAM RECTORY LANE
The Old Rectory
Rectory, later house. Circa 1850 in Gothic style. Built of flint with brick and stone quoins/dressings and gabled roofs with brick chimneystacks. East or entrance front of two storeys and attics with two gables, the right having half-timbered jet tied gable over entrance porch. Gables have heavily moulded bargeboards. Four bay oriel window to first floor and four-light casement to gable. Solid boarded and ribbed entrance door with heavily moulded stone surround. Massing and scale of house diminish as it progresses north with one and a half and single storey service quarters with north facing gables having plain bargeboards with exposed purlins. South or garden front has gable to west with bargeboards and French window to ground floor. Two further bays to east with sash windows to first floor and French windows to ground floor. West front is of two bays with later C19 wood and brick conservatory and wide four panelled door. One storey service range to nor1;h. INTERIOR: Plan centred on N-S axial corridor with staircase at South end. Marble fire surrounds and timber ribbed ceilings to ground floor principal rooms. Windows shuttered internally with vertically sliding shutters rising from cellar pits. Softwood staircase with barley twist balusters, heavily moulded string and handrail, square newel posts with caps and turned pendants. Service staircase with stick balusters. Extensive cellarage containing wine bins, coal store and well.
Listing NGR: TR2095150504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings