This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9306 / 51°55'49"N
Longitude: -2.3229 / 2°19'22"W
OS Eastings: 377892
OS Northings: 225831
OS Grid: SO778258
Mapcode National: GBR 0HS.TTC
Mapcode Global: VH93X.PQBX
Entry Name: The Hill
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125572
Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Hartpury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HARTPURY BLACKWELL'S END
SO 72 NE
4/40 The Hill
Large house: C16, 17, 19. Timber-framed, white panels, on brick
plinth; cross wing rendered; tiled roof to front, natural and
artificial stone slates to rear. Irregular H plan, 2 storeys.
Main front, rendered gable of cross wing on right; 4-light mullion
and transom timber window to ground floor, 3-light mullioned above.
To left gabled stair projection, close-studded timber framing to
ground floor, above squarish panelling 3 panels high, extra
jowelled main post on left short of corner. 2-light mullion and
transom window at mid-floor level, 2-light mullioned in gable:
truss with 2 collars. C19 rebuild of brick chimney set back
between gables, star plan. Timber framing to main block on left
originally as stair wing; later modified in right half ground
floor, with 3-light mullion and transom window:; on left single-
storey gabled porch, probably added 1843. Above, end part of
original building, angle brace to wallplate; to right mullioned
window, above gablet, added 1843. On left short length of timber-
framing, 2 panels per floor high; inserted window at intermediate
level, above original ovolo-moulded window, later blocked. 2-bay
wing to left, set forward, upper floor half in roof: angle braces
main posts to wallplate and tie-beams. 2-light window to right,
square opening to cellar in plinth on left: above leanto dormer,
and plain brick chimney rising from eaves. Left return 2 gables of
different dates: original star-plan chimney behind second. Large
stone chimney projection centre of main block on back, with plain
brick chimney above. Head and sill survives to left of canted
oriel at first floor.
Internally, beams in main hall and both floors of cross wing
pyramid stops; beams quarter ceiling of first floor cross wing.
Main stairs dogleg, heavy moulded string and handrails, turned
balusters, open-work finials to newels, carved pendants. Small
moulded plaster plaques in ceiling, one openwork plaster knob
survives. Original 3-board door at top of stairs to loft. Good
panelled doors to ground and first floor of c1843, 2 tiers of 4
narrow panels. To left of porch resited stairs, moulded handrail,
turned finials to newels, some original splat balusters. Ceiling
of main room above moulded cornice, scattered plaster plaques in
ceiling, panelled mid C17 door. Queen-strut truss in cross wing:
part main block reroofed 1843 with same type: end truss to this
section retains some wattle and daub and evidence of a window.
House appears to have consisted initially of main block, cross and
stair wings, of late C16, extension on left of 3 periods in C17. A
fire in main block first floor led to partial reroofing in 1843
(carved on truss; smoke blackening), when interior partly altered;
windows largely date from this time or later.
Listing NGR: SO7789225831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings