This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8392 / 51°50'21"N
Longitude: -0.029 / 0°1'44"W
OS Eastings: 535885
OS Northings: 217456
OS Grid: TL358174
Mapcode National: GBR KB6.RGN
Mapcode Global: VHGPH.G10D
Plus Code: 9C3XRXQC+M9
Entry Name: Wadesmill Bridge over River Rib in Middle of Village
Listing Date: 30 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356001
Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
Civil Parish: Thundridge
Built-Up Area: Thundridge
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: High Cross St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3517 THUNDRIDGE CAMBRIDGE ROAD
9/10 Wadesmill Bridge
over River Rib in middle of
Roadbridqe over River Rib. 1824-5 by Mr Robson for Cheshunt
Turnpike Trustees: contractors Brough & Smith of London.
Grey/yellow brick with grey granite columns, string course, and
haunched beams and reused limestone copings. 31 feet wide, with
2 semi-circular arches of 25 foot span, resting centrally on a
row of 6 unfluted Greek Doric columns, each of 2 drums of grey
granite, with an angled haunching of granite at the springing
of each arch. The river is at a slight angle to the road and a
projecting plain brick dripcourse over the 18 inch arch rings
obscures any irregularity on the side faces. A stepped pilaster
buttress marks each abbutment and a slightly out-curved brick
wall, topped by a brick parapet over the granite string course,
extends to a square landward pier at each corner. The chamfered
stone coping and pier cappings were probably reused from the 1767
repairs to the previous bridge. The original iron latticed side
rails to the central spans were replaced to a simpler pattern
after being damaged in 1966. An unusual Neo-Classical design.
Branch Johnson notes that it is one of the best bridges in the
county (Branch Johnson (1970) 113).
Listing NGR: TL3588517456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings