This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5142 / 51°30'51"N
Longitude: -0.0886 / 0°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 532730
OS Northings: 181211
OS Grid: TQ327812
Mapcode National: GBR SC.8C
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.F61J
Entry Name: Bank of England
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199776
Location: City of London, London, EC2R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Walbrook
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Margaret Lothbury
Church of England Diocese: London
THREADNEEDLE STREET EC2
Bank of England
TQ 3281 SW 10/290 4.1.50.
Largely rebuilt by Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 to 37. Listed for greatly altered
screen-wall by Sir John Soane, late C18 to early C19 and for various elements of
old building, by Soane and by Sir Robert Taylor (2nd half C18) which were reconstituted
in something like their original form within the new structure. Screen wall of
channelled Portland stone with order of Corinthian columns and pilasters, variously
applied, and crowning balustrade. 8 columned portico to main entrance in Threadneedle
Street with round-arched openings. Similar colonnade, in antis, to Bartholomew
Lane. Elaborated, rounded corners, especially the north west which now has footway
cut through it. Modern statue of Soane facing Lothbury. Within gateway from Lothbury
is reconstruction, in altered form of Soanes's Lothbury Courtyard (1798 to 99)
with Corinthian colonnades, sculpture etc, now marred by temporary glass roof.
Most important reconstructed interior is Taylor's Court Room with arcade at either
end screening vaulted lobby. Splendid plaster decoration (altered by Baker) and
3 chimney pieces of Sienna and white marble. Clock with elaborate frame of gilt
bronze. Octagonal Committee Room adjoining retains original ceiling design, marble
chimney piece and 4 built in bookcases. Other interiors copied to some extent
in new work include former Consols Office, Colonial Office, Dividend Office, Prince's
Street Vestibule, lobby to Rotunda (all by Soane) and semi-dome to Bartholomew
Lane vestibule by Taylor. Amongst fixtures should be mentioned marble statue of
William III by Cheere in Prince's Street entrance hall and 2 patterned Roman (C2
or C3) mosaic pavements at foot of principal staircase and in what is now the museum.
Listing NGR: TQ3273081211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings