This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5124 / 51°30'44"N
Longitude: -0.1013 / 0°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 531855
OS Northings: 180980
OS Grid: TQ318809
Mapcode National: GBR PD.D1
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.67BY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew by the Wardrobe
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199712
Location: City of London, London, EC4V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Baynard
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe
Church of England Diocese: London
QUEEN VICTORIA STREET EC4
Church of St Andrew by the
Wardrobe (Formerly listed
as remains of Church of
TQ 3180 NE 14/401 4.1.50.
1685-95 by Wren. Interior burnt in World War II and reconstructed in near facsimile.
Aisled building of 5 bays with tower at west end of south aisle. Red brick with
Portland stone dressings. 2 tiers of windows with segmental arches below and round
arches above. Painted entablature of late C18 character to north with parapet
above. Corniced doorway. Entablature to south of Portland stone, remaining part
of C19 embellishments now removed. Parapet above. Pedimented doorway. East and
west elevations have wooden, modillion-cornice with central pediment. Pedimented
west door. Plain tower with stone bands etc and cornice with parapet and single
weathervane. Arcaded interior with square piers and plaster vault. Galleries
with space beneath now enclosed. Lobby at west end. Original, carved pulpit (on
new base) and font cover, also pair of brackets to west gallery.
Listing NGR: TQ3185580980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings