This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6634 / 51°39'48"N
Longitude: -0.0162 / 0°0'58"W
OS Eastings: 537301
OS Northings: 197931
OS Grid: TQ373979
Mapcode National: GBR KN.SNX
Mapcode Global: VHGQ8.NGS6
Entry Name: Retort House and King George Pumping Station
Listing Date: 25 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200825
Location: Enfield, London, E4
Electoral Ward/Division: Enfield Lock
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Enfield Highway
Church of England Diocese: London
The following buildings shall be added:
SWAN AND PIKE LANE
TQ 39 NE (east side)
21/286 Retort House and King
George Pumping Station
Retort House. Opened 1913. Designed by William Booth Bryan for Metropolitan Water
Board. English bond red brick with limestone ashlar dressings, set on plinth of
blue brick; gabled corrugated asbestos roof. 4 x 2 bays. 4-bay side elevation.
Raised stone impost bank links 3 semi-circular arched niches set between tall
semi-circular arched architraves with keystones, to double doors in outer bays
and two central windows with glazing bars and some later brick infill. Moulded
stone cornice is continued as band across corner turrets and as string course across
gable ends. Each gable end has 3 graduated semi-circular arched windows with
galzing bars, above stone impost band linking central semi-circular arched niche
flanked by semi-circular arched windows with glazing bars. Interior: cast-iron
roof trusses. The retort house stored gas, which was made from anthracite in Dowson
producers, before it was passed through a scrubber into the gas bags of the Pump
House (q.v.). Included for group value.
(The Engineer, March 14, 1913, pp.269-275).
Listing NGR: TQ3730197931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings