This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4924 / 51°29'32"N
Longitude: -0.4342 / 0°26'3"W
OS Eastings: 508800
OS Northings: 178214
OS Grid: TQ088782
Mapcode National: GBR 2X.P75
Mapcode Global: VHFTC.FR98
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Last Amended: 3 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202961
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Heathrow Villages
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Peter and Paul Harlington
Church of England Diocese: London
ST PETER'S WAY (west side)
Church of St Peter and St Paul
(Formerly listed as Harlington Parish Church, High Street, Harlington)
Parish church. C12 nave and south doorway, C14 chancel, late C15 tower. Restored by J Oldrid Scott, 1878-80 when the north aisle was added.
Rubble and flint walls with stone dressings; early C16 wooden south porch. South doorway: limestone, round arch of four orders. Narrow outer door with circular motifs above battlement mouldings, third order of cat's head mouldings, second order of chevron mouldings, innermost voussoirs plain. Enriched jambs with decorated capitals; nook-shafts replaced in C19. Wooden porch early C16, with open moulded uprights and pitched tiled roof possibly reused.
Nave: C12 south wall with later window openings; northern nave aisle, with arcade of three-pointed arch openings on octagonal piers added by J.O Scott. Open timber king post roof restored 1878-80. Baroque monument on south wall to Lord Ossulton (d.l1686) and wives. War memorial, 1920 by Charles Oldrid Scott.
Chancel: added c1340. Chancel arch by J Oldrid Scott. Open king post roof. Late C19 pews, sanctuary floor of encaustic tiles, C16 Easter sepulchre formerly combined with monument to Gregory Lovell (1545), whose brass is repositioned nearby. In Gothic niches flanking the altar are recumbent effigies to Count Jerome de Salis (d.1836) by Richard Lucas and to Countess Henrietta de Salis (d.1856) by William Theed. Gothic monument William de Salis (d.1856) by Inigo Thomas. East window by C.E Kempe, 1873, three lights depicting the Crucifixion. Windows in south aisle by Willement depicting the Ascension, 1845, and by A L Moore, 1889, depicting Christ in Majesty.
North Aisle: early C16 doorway to vestry moved to present position in 1878-80 restoration. Monument by Boehm to Lieutenant-general Rudolph de Salis (d.1880) on east wall. West Tower houses baptistery with C12 font of Purbeck marble: square bowl with arcading to sides carried on shaft with colonnettes at corners. Stained glass window of the Presentation in the Temple by Kempe, 1903.
The church has a remarkably rural setting supplied by its churchyard, which is celebrated for its yew trees and tombs.
Listing NGR: TQ0880078214
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings