This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4168 / 51°25'0"N
Longitude: -0.2317 / 0°13'53"W
OS Eastings: 523063
OS Northings: 170124
OS Grid: TQ230701
Mapcode National: GBR BM.D9D
Mapcode Global: VHGR9.XNW8
Plus Code: 9C3XCQ89+P8
Entry Name: Colbyfield
Listing Date: 3 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205207
Location: Merton, London, SW20
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Wimbledon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/08/2012
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON
COPSE HILL SW20
No 11 Colbyfield
House, now flats. 1861-2 by Francis Ganmer Penrose for himself. Built
of variegated brick, stone and pebble aggregate-faced concrete blocks,
with polychromatic effect achieved by alternating with single courses
of brick; stone quoins and dressings; hipped slate roof; brick stacks.
Rectangular plan. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range to front.
Galded porche with polychromatic brickwork has round window above
panelled door set within semi-circular arched architrave. Adjoining
extension of 1970s, housing staircase and additional porch. Stone
lintels over 2 margin-light sashes to right, and over 3 small lights
with wrought-iron grilles to left. Similar margin-light sashes with
raised brick quoining to sides and rear; angled return to left-side
wall has oriel with 2-light stone-mullioned window set above
polychromatic brick semi-circular arched doorway; 2-bay rear elevation
has square bay window and canted bay window with margin-light sashes,
both set over basement with semi-circular arched sashes. Interior;
remodelled in C20. Drawings survive in the RIBA drawings collection,
the Contract taken out by one Hull on 26 April 1862. F C
Penrose(1817-1903), educated at Winchester and Magdalene College,
Cambridge, was Travelling Bachelor of the University of Cambridge, in
Italy and Greece (1842-45) publishing his researches as two Letters
on certain anomalies in the construction of the Parthenon (the Society
of Dilettanti 1846/1847) and Investigations of the Principles of Athe-
nian Architecture: Optical Refinments in the Construction of Ancient
Buildings at Athens (1851; Second edition 1888, where he established
by optical observation and mathematical calculation the measurement of
the entasis of the order and the curvature of the lines of the
Parthenon. He was an Architect in practice from 1846, Surveyor of St
Paul's Cathedral from 1851 in succession to C R Cockerell, and in
1884, elected First Honorary Fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge.
He was in addition a noted archaeologist, astronomer and mathemati-
cian, and an overall phoymath for whom professional practice in archi-
tecture was something of a sideline. Included for its unusual use of
concrete blockwork as a building material early in the C19 and as an
unusual example of a High Victorian Architect designing a house for
his own use and occupation.
Sources: Charles Plante BA, Francis Cranmer Penrose, Architect (1817-
1903 unpublished BA Thesis (1987), University of Cambridge, Faculty of
Architecture and History of Art, (forthcoming in Journal of the Socie-
ty of Architectural Historians (USA).
Listing NGR: TQ2306370124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings