This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5721 / 51°34'19"N
Longitude: 0.0664 / 0°3'58"E
OS Eastings: 543298
OS Northings: 187939
OS Grid: TQ432879
Mapcode National: GBR NC.PD9
Mapcode Global: VHHN5.3RF5
Entry Name: Valentines Mansion
Listing Date: 10 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204879
Location: Redbridge, London, IG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cranbrook
Built-Up Area: Redbridge
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Great Ilford St Margaret and St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
In the entry for:
TQ 48 NW 5/11 10.4.54 Valentines Mansion
the grade shall be amended to read II* (star).
TQ 48 NW 5/11 10.4.54
Late C17. The exterior almost entirely of the C18. Stock brick, red dressings.
Entrance front L-shaped, the short arm projecting to the left and of 2 storeys.
Three storeys, sashes with cased frames. Cornice with shaped modillions, capped
parapet. Venetian staircase window. Unusual late C18 porte cochere built on
the segment of a circle and having 8 Doric columns, partial entablature and flat
pitched slate roof; (roof extant only to centre at present). Glazed doors giving
entry into hall. Side elevation has 6 sash windows with double band over ground
floor. Two storey canted brick bay with cornice on right hand. Two storey
portion in same plane to right hand. This front has lead rainwater heads bearing
the crest of the Raymond family and the date 1769, no doubt the date of the reconstruction.
Garden front - the north front - 3 storeys, probably built in 1769. 2+5+2 sash
windows the outer 2 being in full height bows. Double band above ground floor.
Central window on 1st floor with pediment, architrave surround and swept up sides.
Early C19 cast iron balcony to window with tented lead canopy. Ground floor
windows have jalousies. Cornice with shaped modillions, parapet. Interior,
said to have Grinling Gibbons carvings and only partly seen, has paved entrance
hall with good late C17 carved stone fireplace, staircase hall with good well
staircase having twisted balusters and ramped handrail, and enriched ceiling
with circlet of fruit flowers and foliage with coved sides. The Venetian staircase
window has shields of arms and other decorations in enamelled glass of Regency
date. Enquiry office with late C17 panelling and late C18 mantelpiece in statuary
and coloured marbles and early C19 grate. Late C17 panelling and doors elsewhere.
Valentines was built in the late C17 by James Chadwick, son-in-law of Archbishop
Tillotson, who is said to have been a frequent visitor here. The house is not
recorded in RCHM (Thorne Environs of London; Walford, Greater London; P Muilman
History of Essex, 1769-1772).
Listing NGR: TQ4329887939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings