This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.211 / 52°12'39"N
Longitude: -2.1444 / 2°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 390226
OS Northings: 256982
OS Grid: SO902569
Mapcode National: GBR 1G1.BNN
Mapcode Global: VH92N.SP5F
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 4 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 147881
Location: Tibberton, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Tibberton
Built-Up Area: Tibberton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Hadzor with Oddingley and Tibberton
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
TIBBERTON CP CHURCH LANE (west side)
SO 95 NW
6/205 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Rebuilt in 1868 by Hopkins on site of former church.
Brick faced externally with coursed lias limestone rubble, sandstone ashlar
dressings, plain tiled roof and timber bell-turret. Four-bay nave with bell-
turret and south porch, two-bay chancel. Early English style. Nave has
chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses at west end and also buttresses at
eastern end of side elevations; west end has four large lancets and a rose
window in the apex; side elevations have paired cusped lancets, three pairs
in the north and two pairs in the south elevation, and a single cusped
lancet at their western end. Bell-turret is timber-framed with a square
weatherboarded base, 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings, a splay-footed
and weatherboarded short spire and a weathervane. South porch is gabled
and timber-framed with lias limestone rubble sides, cusped bargeboards and
a cross finial; the pointed archway has quatrefoils pierced in the spandrels
and flanking pointed lights with trefoils pierced in their spandrels; sides
have 4-light openings with quatrefoil traceried infill panels; within is a
pointed doorway of two chamfered orders. Chancel: angled buttresses at east
end and small central east-end buttress; 3-light pointed east window; north
elevation has two lancets and south elevation has a south-east lancet and a
south-west 2-light square-headed window. Interior: pointed chancel arch with
cusped pointed niches at the base of the jambs; moulded cambered arches above
window openings; 2-course blue brick sill band and also an impost band of
alternate blue and yellow brick courses. Ashlared collar and scissor rafter
roof to nave and barrel roof to chancel. Flooring and altar rails include
woodwork from former church. Two low walls with east returns and a pierced
quatrefoil frieze separate nave from chancel. Octagonal font probably of
C13 origins, now recut. Ashlar pulpit with marble inset detail. Memorials:
chancel has three wall memorials surmounted by urn reliefs to members of the
Brooke family of late C18 and early C19 date. (VCH 3 (ii), p 538; BoE, p 280).
Listing NGR: SO9022656982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings