This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3182 / 52°19'5"N
Longitude: -2.4051 / 2°24'18"W
OS Eastings: 372480
OS Northings: 268980
OS Grid: SO724689
Mapcode National: GBR BZ.W4M1
Mapcode Global: VH91Y.8ZCQ
Entry Name: Pensax Court
Listing Date: 27 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081410
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149362
Location: Pensax, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Pensax
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Teme Valley North
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
PENSAX CP PENSAX
SO 76 NW
6/169 Pensax Court
House. C18 origins, rebuilt c1840, extended 1882 and restored late C20.
Brick, partly stuccoed, plain tiled roofs with decorative ironwork to
ridge and massive stacks, some having chamfered corners. Square plan
with projecting east wing and central clock tower. Two storeys and attics;
multi-gabled with pierced scalloped bargeboards and pendant finials:
South front elevation: three bays articulated by gables, each having a
ground floor canted bay with cornice (added late C19) and a large first
floor window with cambered head and hood mould; central first floor window
of five lights, outer bays of four lights; 3-light casement in attic of
left gable; circular traceried window in attic of right gable; two large
chimneys in valleys. North entrance elevation has a twin-gabled projection
to right originally attached to a kitchen wing, now demolished; 4-panelled
door and 3-light first floor casement beneath left gable and pointed attic
lights-with Y-tracery; left of the gabled projection the fenestration is
irregular; three ground floor cross-casements, 3-light first floor casement,
large stairlight with 4-centred head and Y-tracery; two gabled dormers with
pointed lights and Y-tracery; gabled balustered timber porch to left and
studded door within. Octagonal clock tower has a clockface on its north
and south elevations, a domical roof and ball-finial. Interior: noted as
having open well staircase with cast iron balustrade; ground floor room to
right of south front has an ornate ceiling cornice and a marble fireplace
with foliated panels and corbels. The east wing was added in 1882; part
brick, part timber-framed with rendered infill on ashlar base; plain tiled
roof; single bay; single storey with half-dormers and basement. Framing
has lower rectangular panels and upper concave-lozenge panels; jettied
at east gable end with decorative herringbone truss above and the date "1882"
inscribed on the tie-beam; north elevation has a large gabled half-dormer
with 4-light mullion and transom window; beneath steps with a simple cast
iron balustrade lead down to a basement door. Some C18 brickwork in the
north entrance elevation was the only external evidence visible of an
earlier structure on the site that must have been incorporated into the
C19 building. The house was being restored at the time of survey (April
1985). (BoE, p 235).
Listing NGR: SO7248068980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings