This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0339 / 52°2'2"N
Longitude: -2.062 / 2°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 395844
OS Northings: 237280
OS Grid: SO958372
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.FHP
Mapcode Global: VHB14.64RM
Entry Name: Overbury Church of England Primary School
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148570
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/117 Overbury C of E
School. 1876-7 by Richard Norman Shaw for Robert Martin, extended 1905
and 1913 by Ernest Newton for Richard Biddulph Martin with further mid-C20
additions; partly restored 1985. Snecked limestone ashlar with ashlar
dressings and brick additions; plain tiled roof, gable-end parapets with
gabled finials and large ashlar ridge stack with two square shafts and
moulded capping. T-plan; main range aligned east/west with west cross-
wing and bell-tower. Single storey and attic with chamfered plinth.
Windows are all chamfered mullioned type and have leaded casements. North
front elevation: main part has broad central buttress flanked by 6-light
windows which have a king mullion and a transom. Gable end to west has a
3-light window with transom and hoodmould, a 2-light window above and a
loophole in the gable apex. There is a lean-to with a catslide roof adjoin-
ing the east side in the angle with the main range. This has the main entrance
in its north elevation which has a square-headed opening with moulded architrave,
a door with a cambered head and moulded spandrels. Above the entrance is a
datestone on which is inscribed "RM/ 1876". There is a 3-light window in the
angle with the main part. At the east gable end is a 6-light window with two
transoms, a hoodmould and, above it, is a 2-light window. The bell-tower pro-
jects from the west side elevation as a narrow gabled wing with shallow gabled
buttresses each side of the west gable end which continue to just above eaves
level. The gable end continues beyond the roofline to form a gabled bell-cote.
There is a 2-light west window and a north doorway in the base and a loophole
at the eaves level. The bell-cote has an ogee-arched opening with hoodmoulds
and large finials on both faces, a pair of gablets at eaves level at each side,
a moulded stone roof ridge and tall weathervane. There is a two-storey brick
wing parallel to the main range at rear from which projects a hipped-roofed
mid-C20 addition (Saint, A: Richard Norman Shaw, London, 1976).
Listing NGR: SO9584437280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings