This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0341 / 52°2'2"N
Longitude: -2.0629 / 2°3'46"W
OS Eastings: 395781
OS Northings: 237298
OS Grid: SO957372
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.F92
Mapcode Global: VHB14.648H
Entry Name: Overbury Post Office and Stores
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148576
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/123 Overbury Post Office
House converted to Post Office and Stores; not in use at time of survey
(November 1985). 1879 remodelling of older structure by Richard Norman
Shaw for Robert Martin and extended in 1905 by Ernest Newton for Richard
Biddulph Martin. Coursed dressed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings
and some decorated timber-framing with roughcast infill; stone tiled roof
in diminishing courses with gable-end parapets and ridge stacks. Two
storeys with chamfered plinth; first floor at front is timber-framed and
jettied on a moulded bressummer. It has close-set studding and there is a
gable at the western end with a collar and tie-beam truss and decorative
concave lozenge detail. North front elevation is of roughly three bays.
Ground floor has two multi-paned oriel windows on shaped brackets and linked
by a semi-circular timber archway; to the east of these windows is a glazed
circular opening and to the west of them is a smaller oriel with a moulded
cornice and leaded casements and which is continued up to the jetty by framed
panels of close-set studding. On the first floor is a 2-light and a 6-light
window above the main pair of oriels and beneath the gable is another 2-light
and a 5-light window with plank weatherings; all the first floor windows have
leaded casements. Between the pair of large oriels is a half-glazed door and
transom light with two glazing bars. The door is reached by two flights of
stone steps with simple cast iron railings. The rear south elevation has two
3-light casements and a 4-light casement, the former with a moulded chevron
frieze and the latter with a frieze of linked moulded circles above it.
The rear west wing was added in 1905 by Newton. Rubble with plain tiled roof.
Two storeys, three bays, windows are all 2-light leaded casements (with cambered
heads on ground floor). Lean-to porch on chamfered posts to left and doorway
with cambered head. The porch is continued above a similar doorway in the
adjoining out building. The out building has three further doors (one with
a left side light) and a 2-light window, all with cambered heads and four sky-
lights in the roof. (Saint, A: Richard Norman Shaw, London, 1976; Newton, W G:
The Life and Work of Ernest Newton, London, 1925; VCH, 3(ii), p 469).
Listing NGR: SO9578137298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings