This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3441 / 52°20'38"N
Longitude: -2.8201 / 2°49'12"W
OS Eastings: 344230
OS Northings: 272099
OS Grid: SO442720
Mapcode National: GBR BF.TJDC
Mapcode Global: VH76T.2BHV
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 11 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150187
Location: Burrington, County of Herefordshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Burrington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BURRINGTON CP BURRINGTON
SO 47 SW
3/8 Church of St George
Parish church. C13 or earlier origins; nave rebuilt circa 1855 by S Pountney
Smith, chancel rebuilt and shortened in 1864 by Bodley. Dressed, coursed
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof with east gable-end
parapet and cross finial and two blue brick stacks to north side of nave roof.
The belfry is timber-framed and has a fishscale-tiled spire. West tower with
north vestry, continuous four-bay nave with south porch and two-bay chancel.
Early English styler West tower: C19. Three stages with battered plinth and
stepped string between two lower stages. The west window has a pair of lancets
beneath a relieving arch and interrupts the string which forms a hoodmould above
it. There is a rectangular light in the north and south elevations. The belfry
is timber-framed and has a tiled weathering at its base which forms a continua-
tion of the main roof. Each elevation of the belfry has two large panels with
decorative herringbone struts and, above them, a row of six rectangular louvred
bell chamfer openings; the upper part of each opening is pierced with a quatre-
foil. There is a short, octagonal, splay-footed spire with swept, overhanging
and bracketted eaves, four louvred lucarnes and a tall weathervane. A narrow
stair turrent adjoins to the south-west with a lean-to roof continued from the
main roof and the tiled weathering beneath the belfry. It has a chamfered south
doorway with a slit window above and two further slit windows in its west side.
The vestry also has a lean-to roof and has a rectangular window in its north
side and a round-arched chamfered doorway at its west end. Nave and chancel:
some medieval masonry survives in the side elevations. There are large gabled
buttresses situated at the division between nave and chancel. The nave has
four lancets in its north side and three lancets in its south side; all share
a continuous hoodmould. The chancel has two shallow buttresses at its east
end, between which runs a sill string. Above the string are three stepped
lancets beneath a pointed archway and above each outer lancet is pierced a
quatrefoil. There are two slit windows in the gable apex. The south eleva-
tion of the chancel has two lancets and between them is a pointed doorway with
a hoodmould on ornate stops. The south porch is gabled, has angle buttresses,
a chamfered pointed archway and a 4-light window in both side elevations.
Within the south doorway is a round-arched head of two orders on imposts.
Interior: the pointed chancel arch is of heavily moulded timber with a quatre-
foil frieze on the intrados and supported on moulded stone corbels. The tower
arch is pointed and simply detailed. The nave roof has three arch-braced collar
trusses (the braces forming complete semi-circular archways) and pairs of straight
moulded wind-braces. The chancel has a barrel roof. The stone reredos has a
three-bay blind arcade of pointed arches on engaged columns and there is a
cusped, pointed piscina. There is a simple arcaded and traceried rood screen.
The octagonal stone fpnt is probably C14 and has a hollowed under-edge and
quatrefoiled stem. The four-sided pulpit is C19. The semi-octagonal oak
almsbox is probably Cl7 and there is recorded to be a C16 parish chest in
the vestry. Memorials: in the nave is a mid-C18 and two early C19 memorials to
members of the Knight family, two early and a mid-C19 memorials to the Pryce
family (one of which is large, has a moulded cornice and is surmounted by an
urn) and also a mid-C19 memorial to John Arding. (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, 1934,
p 29; BoE, p 95-6).
Listing NGR: SO4423072099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings