This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.347 / 52°20'49"N
Longitude: -2.8186 / 2°49'7"W
OS Eastings: 344331
OS Northings: 272423
OS Grid: SO443724
Mapcode National: GBR BF.TBRC
Mapcode Global: VH76T.388L
Entry Name: Burrington Farm
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Last Amended: 9 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150189
Location: Burrington, County of Herefordshire, SY8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Burrington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 47 SW BURRINGTON
1421/3/10 Burrington Farm
Farmhouse. Early to mid-C16, partly rebuilt and extended in the early and late C17 with further mid-C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Partly timber-framed with painted brick infill on rubble base, partly rubble with slate roofs and brick stack to south front and east end of ridge; also C17 brick stack to centre of ridge, now partly rebuilt. Originally of L-shaped plan, main part aligned east/west with south wing. Main part rebuilt early C17 and extended to west in late C17; additional bays added at each end in C19. Two storeys and cellar.
FRAMING: original part has two rows of rectangular panels to each storey. The south wing has a jet tied first floor on shaped brackets and a tie-beam truss with decorative latticed struts. The late C17 alterations have two rows of square panels to each storey.
SOUTH FRONT ELEVATION: windows are mainly mid- C20 replacements; original bay of main part has a 2-1ight ground floor casement on two moulded corbels (probably original) and with a plank weathering on shaped brackets; above is a 2-light window. The south wing to the right has a ground floor 3-1ight casement incorporating part of an original oriel window and a first floor 3-1ight casement above an original old moulded corbel to the right of the south wing the single-bay rubble addition has a 3-light window with a cambered brick head on both floors. The C17 addition adjoining to the left of the original part has a 3-light ground floor casement with plank weathering, a 3-1ight and a single-light first floor casement. The rubble addition to the left has a half-hipped timber- framed porch on a rubble base and a flush-panelled C19 door. Main entrance now to rear of original part and has a larger similar porch and a half-glazed door.
(RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 29).
Listing NGR: SO4433172423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings