This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2984 / 52°17'54"N
Longitude: -2.7481 / 2°44'52"W
OS Eastings: 349083
OS Northings: 266964
OS Grid: SO490669
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.XB53
Mapcode Global: VH84H.BH2C
Entry Name: Orleton Manor
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150106
Location: Orleton, County of Herefordshire, SY8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Orleton
Built-Up Area: Orleton
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Orleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 46 NE ORLETON CP -
3/84 Orleton Manor
Manor house. Late C16 to early C17, with some mid-C19 and early C20
alterations, restored late C20. Timber-frame with rendered infill on
rubble plinth under slate roof. U-plan, hall ranged aligned north-east/
south-west. Cross-wings projecting to south-east. Cross-passage at
south end of hall entered through porch, the south door blocked, oriel to
north end of hall. Chimney stack in middle of north cross-wing and laterally
placed on south wall of other wing. North-west front of two storeys, the
cross-wing to left gabled, to right roof returned. To left of hall range
a two-storey semi-octagonal bay window, to left a two-storey gabled porch.
One plus three plus two windows, a 3-light casement to left, the bay with
a 2-light casement to each side, a 2-light casement, a 4-light mullioned
and transomed window in porch, then a 3-light and a 4-light casement. The
last three windows have C17 ovolo moulded windows. Ground floor fenestration
similar, the lower part of the bay restored mid-C20 when it was a porch.
Entrance has a boarded door on strap hinges within a moulded architrave.
Framing is close-studded with mid-rail, left-hand gable has two collars
and studding. Interior the south room of the north cross-wing has re-set
C17 panelling. The north wall has been moved about one metre south, leaving
the fireplace in a cupboard. The room above has re-set panelling with a
frieze. The fireplace has moulded stone jambs and four-centred head. Painted
above it is an ogee head and terminal with repainted inscription: "Honner
Him in hart and souffred on the crosse for thee and worship him". The hall
has exposed moulded ceiling beams. Upstairs over the hall is a passageway,
all the doorways having moulded architraves. (RCHM, 3, p 157, no 2; Parkinson,
J and Ould EA: Old Cottages, Farm Houses and other half-timber buildings in
Shropshire, Herefordshire and Cheshire, 1904, p1 30).
Listing NGR: SO4908366964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings