This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1704 / 52°10'13"N
Longitude: -2.7564 / 2°45'23"W
OS Eastings: 348362
OS Northings: 252732
OS Grid: SO483527
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.5GWJ
Mapcode Global: VH852.5QM0
Plus Code: 9C4V56CV+5C
Entry Name: Winsley House
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Last Amended: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149624
Location: Hope under Dinmore, County of Herefordshire, HR6
Civil Parish: Hope under Dinmore
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Hope-under-Dinmore
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP
SO 45 SE
4/61 Winsley House
Farmhouse: C14, part rebuilt early C16, extended early C17, part refaced
late C18 with further late C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Part coursed sand-
stone rubble, part timber-framed with rendered infill and some brick refacing
and tile-hanging; machine tiled and corrugated iron roofs with brick ridge
stacks. C14 core lies to north-west, south and east wings rebuilt early C16
and porch added. South wing extended early C18 to form L-plan. Late in C18
the north and west fronts were rebuilt or refaced in brick and the east wing
extended. Two storeys and attic. Framing: ground floor rebuilt in stone.
First floor mainly of close set studding and jettied on moulded bressummers.
The gables are also all jettied on moulded bressummers and shaped brackets
and have collar and tie=beam trusses with close-set struts. An east gable
has a moulded and embattled bressummer and the porch wing has bargeboards
carved with a defaced inscription in early C16 capitals: "[Per signum tau]
libera nos Jeesu". North front: five bays surmounted by gable with parapet.
Windows all have gauged flat heads and have been replaced with C20 cross-
casements. There is a blind lunette in the gable. The central entrance has
an open pediment, engaged columns, a half-glazed door and a plain fanlight.
To the right of the five-bay part the brick refacing is continued and there is
a two-storey canted bay window with C20 cross-casements. To the right of the
bay window the wall ends in brick quoins and adjoins the gable end of the inter-
secting west wing which has a C20 ground floor 3-light casement. Interior:
C14 part recorded to have an open roof of three byas with collar and tie-beam
trusses, the main trusses having central-struts beneath the collars, and cusped
wind-braces. The kitchen is recorded to have an early C16 ceiling divided
into panels by moulded beams and a room in the south wing has a late C16 plaster
panel in the ceiling with a fleur-de-lis, roses and cherub heads. Other rooms
have epxosed ceiling beams. (RCHM, Herefs III, p 70, item 3; BoE, p 196).
Listing NGR: SO4836252732
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings