This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0045 / 52°0'16"N
Longitude: -2.1858 / 2°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 387343
OS Northings: 234023
OS Grid: SO873340
Mapcode National: GBR 1JJ.674
Mapcode Global: VH93M.2WB7
Plus Code: 9C4V2R37+RM
Entry Name: Paynes Place
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151303
Location: Bushley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Bushley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Bushley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 83 SE BUSHLEY STOKES LANE
11-8-52 Paynes Place (formerly
listed as Paynes Place,
GV Bonnell's End)
House late C15 and C16 timber-framed with red herringbone brick infill. Plain tile
roofs with C19 ridge stack and East side wall stack. T plan with East end crosswing.
2 storeys. Close-studded timbers throughout. North front, 3 window main range.
Casements 5-light, 4-light and 5-light to 1st floor. Ground floor 5-light, two
3-light windows set together and, in angle a lean-to timbered porch, rebuilt possibly
with old timbers. Crosswing has 4-light window to each floor. South front: crosswing
is jettied with tension braces and a moulded tie-beam to gable. C19 carved
bargeboards. 6-light ground floor, 4-light 1st floor and 3-light attic windows. Main
range has two 5-light 1st floor windows and two 4-light ground floor windows with door
between. At West end is a brick extension, probably early C18, with coped gable and
cambered arched windows in gable end, North front altered in C19.
Interior: a carved moulded wood doorway to crosswing and in ground floor room part of
painted decorative texts commemorating the marriage of A. and M. Stratford 1577. In
main range upper floor centre truss of former open hall. Heavy moulded arch braces to
collar truss with decorative hollow moulded beams around at wall-plate level.
Reputedly built in C15 for Thomas Payne whose brass is in the parish church and
visited by Queen Margaret after the battle of Tewkesbury.
Listing NGR: SO8734334023
Other nearby listed buildings