This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1894 / 52°11'21"N
Longitude: -2.5044 / 2°30'15"W
OS Eastings: 365616
OS Northings: 254695
OS Grid: SO656546
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4CD4
Mapcode Global: VH856.J7WF
Entry Name: 14, Church Street
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 9 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151006
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/6/171 CHURCH STREET
(Formerly listed as:
A house with a colourwashed brick front, of C18 or early C19 date, which masks an earlier, timber-framed structure. The gabled roof is covered with slates. The building has two storeys.
EXTERIOR: The street front is recessed from the pavement and extends across the full width of its plot. To the right of the ground floor is a plain wooden door which leads, via a passageway, to the rear of the property. At left of this is a three bay, near-symmetrical front. The door, which is slightly to the left of centre, is half-glazed with a moulded surround and pedimented hood, supported by shaped brackets. At either side, on both floors, are 16-pane sash windows with painted brick lintels and painted sills.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No.14 Church Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, joining the church with the market square. It continues south into Sherford Street, and together they were known as Verterus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Shurford Streate in 1575. This central area of the town to the south of the church and around the market place appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
Dalwood, H and Bryant, V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
James, D, Insight Historic Buildings Research, An Analysis of the Historic Fabric of Fifty Buildings in the Central Area of Bromyard, Herefordshire, (2009)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION:
No.14 Church Street is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: the building has an attractive front of late C18 or early C19 date, which contributes to the pattern of other, similar buildings in the town
* Historic: behind the facade is a timber frame which also matches other examples in the town and which adds to the historic interest of the property
* Group Value: No. 14 is one of a number of listed buildings along Church Street
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings