This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1898 / 52°11'23"N
Longitude: -2.5044 / 2°30'15"W
OS Eastings: 365613
OS Northings: 254733
OS Grid: SO656547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.45F3
Mapcode Global: VH856.J7W5
Entry Name: 24, Church Street
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 1 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151003
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/168 CHURCH STREET
(Formerly listed as:
A town house dating from the early C19.
MATERIALS: it is constructed from stone, brought to course, with a slate roof and brick ridge stack.
PLAN: it is roughly U-shaped on plan with the main range to the road running north-south and wings running right angles to the north and south.
EXTERIOR: the building is of two storeys with a symmetrical three bay front to Church Street. The central door is glazed and panelled with a rectangular fanlight above. It is set within a panelled doorcase with a moulded hood on console brackets and flanked by windows. The windows throughout are 2/2 sashes with marginal glazing set within moulded cases with projecting sills.
INTERIOR: Not inspected
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 24 Church Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, adjoining the church with the market square. It continues south into Sherford Street, and together they were known as Verterus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Shurford Streate in 1575. This central area of the town to the south of the church and around the market place appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
James D, Insight Historic Buildings Research, An Analysis of the Historic Fabric of Fifty Buildings in the Central Area of Bromyard, Herefordshire (2009)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 24 Church Street is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the building is a good example of a town house of the early C19, reflecting vernacular traditions.
* Group value: with the numerous other listed buildings in Church Street
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings