This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2688 / 52°16'7"N
Longitude: -2.5482 / 2°32'53"W
OS Eastings: 362688
OS Northings: 263540
OS Grid: SO626635
Mapcode National: GBR BS.ZCBZ
Mapcode Global: VH84S.S77M
Entry Name: Barn About 60 Yards East of Kyre Park
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150710
Location: Kyre, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Kyre
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Teme Valley South
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
KYRE CP KYRE PARK
SO 66 SW
6/23 Barn about 60 yards
east of Kyre Park
Barn, now function room. Circa 1618 by William Harrison of Bromsgrove for
Sir Edward Pytts; altered mid-C20. Handmade brick on sandstone rubble base;
plain tiled roof with stepped parapets and finials at gable ends. Ten bays
aligned east/west totalling 130 feet in length; wagon bays with opposed cart
entries situated in fourth and seventh bays from west end. The smaller north
entries have been blocked. There are single-bay wings with roofs slightly
lower in height than the main range projecting from the second and ninth bays
on the south side. Also buttresses with offsets at the bay divisions along
the north elevation and flanking the central bay on the south side. Partly
two storeys. Two tiers of ventilation slits throughout. Main south elevation
the wagon bays have inserted C20 multi-paned windows and the westernmost one
has a glazed double doorway with a flat canopy above. There is also a C20
door in the first bay from the west end. The wings have 2-light chamfered
mullioned ashlar windows on both floor levels. A C20 door has been inserted
in the inner angle of both wings. Interior: original roof structure survives.
largely intact; it has collar and tie-beam trusses with large raking struts
sloping inwards beneath the collar and a V-strut above. East of the eastern-
most wagon bay is a collar and tie-beam truss with two collars and have five
struts beneath and three struts above the upper collar. C20 brick piers support
additional tie-beams beneath the trusses of the central bays. There are two
tiers of trenched purlins. County Ancient Monument number 307, together with
dovecote (qv) about 120 yards east of Kyre Park (qv). (Country Life, xvii
and xxiv, 1917; The Antiquary, xxi, 202, 261, xxii, 24, 50; VCH, IV, p 281;
BoE, p 211).
Listing NGR: SO6268863540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings