This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1287 / 52°7'43"N
Longitude: -2.9986 / 2°59'54"W
OS Eastings: 331740
OS Northings: 248292
OS Grid: SO317482
Mapcode National: GBR F6.82TF
Mapcode Global: VH77N.ZR4H
Entry Name: Great Parton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 August 1953
Last Amended: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150602
Location: Eardisley, County of Herefordshire, HR3
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Eardisley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Eardisley with Bollingham and Willersley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
EARDISLEY CP A 4112 (south side)
SO 34 NW
6/48 Great Parton Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Farmhouse. Early C17, extended early C18 with mid-C19 alterations. Part
timber-framed with brick infill on rubble base with some brick refacing
and coursed rubble walling, part handmade brick. Stone-tiled roof laid in
diminishing courses, gable-end parapets with kneelers and tumbled brickwork
to C18 part; brick ridge stacks, (stacks to main ridge rebuilt late C20) and
also brick stack to north-west main roof. Original part is L-plan, composed
of two-bay main range aligned north/south with external chimney at south end
and having a single-bay north-east wing. A T-plan addition was built in the
C18 at the south gable end enclosing the chimney and forming a lobby entrance
at the centre of the east front. Two storeys, attic and cellar; chamfered
plinth and three-course band at first floor level. Framing: original part
has three and four rows of square panels exposed at first floor level.
North-east wing has decorative concave lozenge detail at its gable end.
Collar and tie-beam trusses with struts; north end truss has two collars.
North-east truss has decorative concave lozenge detail. East front elevation:
windows have cambered brick heads. Central range has one ground floor and
two first floor 3-light casements. The left ground floor bay has a 4-light
casement inserted into a smaller opening. Central entrance has a gabled
timber porch and a 6-panelled door. C18 wing to left has a ground floor
mullioned-and-transomed window at its gable end, a similar window on the
first floor (now blocked and painted in) and also on the first floor in the
angle with main range. The original wing to the right has a rectangular
light on the ground floor. There is a C19 lean-to addition in the left
angle with aledged and battened door; within it conceals a blocked window
opening, and two blocked doorways. A similar lean-to addition in the right
angle has been removed. Interior: original part has chamfered main ceiling
beams. Central chimney has back-to-back fireplaces. Also recorded to have
two early C18 fireplaces. (RCHM, III, p 56, item 60; BoE, p 120).
Listing NGR: SO3174048292
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings