This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1895 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.3164 / 2°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 378468
OS Northings: 254630
OS Grid: SO784546
Mapcode National: GBR 0DP.P65
Mapcode Global: VH92R.S7SC
Entry Name: Cotheridge Court
Listing Date: 12 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151697
Location: Cotheridge, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Cotheridge
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Lower Teme Valley Parish
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 75 SE COTHERIDGE CP CHURCH LANE
5/27 Cotheridge Court
Country house. Late C16, altered in 1770 with later additions. Timber-framed
rendered brick and wattle-and-daub infill, refaced to front and south side in
brick with stone dressings, brick extensions, tiled roofs, sandstone ashlar
chimney with brick stacks to rear and north side elevation. Central range,
L-shaped north wing and long, narrow south cross-wing. 2 storeys and attic.
Symmetrical late C18 facade of 1:5:1 bays; 3 storeys, the central second
storey windows of which are artificial, moulded cornice beneath parapet and
balustrade. All windows have stone sills. Windows to central five bays
are glazing bar sashes with gauged flat heads; the second floor windows are
6-pane sashes and the first and fifth ground floor windows have been replaced
by multi-paned doors with rectangular 3-pane fanlights. The projecting
outer bays have a ground floor Venetian window, the central window having an
accentuated keyblock and 4-pane sash; the first floor windows are tripartite
with raised centre light capped by mid-C19 panelled pediment feature; the side
lights to both Venetian and tripartite windows have stone lintels and plain
sashes. The second floor windows are 6-pane sashes with triangular lintels
on end modillions and with accentuated keyblocks. The central doorway has
a pediment on console-brackets containing a shield with the arms of the Berkeley
family upon it; there is a multi-paned window now replacing the former door,
with a moulded architrave. The older structure is visible in the rear and
north side elevations; close-set vertical studding, 2 rows from sill to wall-
plate with long straight braces in lower corners; gable ends have carved barge-
boards and pendants; north gable end has swept upper corner braces and exposed queen
strut truss revealing double purlin roof structure. Interior Much altered
Late C16 staircase survives to rear of central range, rising in 3 flights to
first floor around an open well. Massive square newels with moulded finials
and square, raking balusters joined by small semi-circular raking arches.
South wing drawing room has Adam-style stuccoed ceiling, and carved doorcases,
cornice, dado rail and chimney piece. South wing hallway also retains late
C18 staircase with turned balusters.
A late C19 brick 2 storey wing adjoins the house to the north concealing
one arm of the C16 L-shaped wing.
The building was divided into 2 dwellings and 3 flats in the mid C20.
Listing NGR: SO7846854630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings