This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.236 / 52°14'9"N
Longitude: -2.3582 / 2°21'29"W
OS Eastings: 375635
OS Northings: 259815
OS Grid: SO756598
Mapcode National: GBR 0D1.YCP
Mapcode Global: VH92K.22N7
Plus Code: 9C4V6JPR+9P
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151640
Location: Martley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Martley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Martley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Church building
SO 75 NE
B 4204 (south west side)
Church of St Peter
Parish church. Early C12, early C13 and circa 1315, restored 1875, 1884 and 1909. Last restoration by Sir Charles Nicholson. Ashlar, plain tile roof. Nave and chancel continuous, west tower, north vestry of 1875, south porch of 1184.
Chancel: three bays, north wall early C13 with two lancets, north vestry; east window: restored Decorated of early C14, three trefoiled lights; south wall: eastern window Decorated with two trefoiled lights, other two larger each with two ogee trefoiled lights, formerly looked into Mortimer chapel (consecrated 1315, demolished), they flank a three-centred-headed priest's door; stepped right angle buttresses to corners.
Nave: three bays, all windows restored: decorated each with two trefoiled lights in both walls. Restored early C12 south door with timber porch of 1884; blocked north door more complete and similar in design; doorway projects c150mm from wall face, with decorated semicircular head and consecration cross; wall has five bays defined by a series of early C12 pilasters, top four courses of naves walls are of alternate bands of red and white sandstone.
West tower: C15 in three stages divided by moulded string, moulded plinth, embattled parapet with pinnacles of 1909 to diagonal corner buttresses. C15 Perpendicular west window with three cinquefoiled lights; first stage has single trefoiled lights, bell chamber has windows with two cinquefoiled lights under two-centred head.
INTERIOR: chancel: double aumbry in north wall, piscina in south wall with priests head to label stop; nave: entrance to rood stairs and above rood left door, stairs were in an external projection, now lost; tower arch of two chamfered orders with moulded abaci at springing.
Roofs: similar over nave and chancel, slightly lower pitch to chancel, collar-rafter roof with straight braces from rafter to collar and ashlar pieces, five tie beams in nave, two in chancel, probably early C14. A framed tympanum divides the nave from the chancel roof, probably C17.
Fittings: wall paintings in nave of C15 including St Martin on horseback dividing his cloak for the beggar; in chancel wall paintings of late C13 and C15, including C15 canopy design on east wall, and a C15 Annunciation group on the south wall. A few late C15 Malvern tiles in chancel floor; early C20 screen, font, pulpit and organ. Late C15 recumbent effigy of alabaster against north wall of chancel, ridged coffin lid to south with traces of incised cross and pastoral staff. The two eastern windows in the south wall of the nave and central window in north wall are of circa 1915 by Walter E Tower.
Listing NGR: SO7563559816
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings