History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and Coach-House Adjoining to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6977 / 53°41'51"N

Longitude: -0.0336 / 0°2'1"W

OS Eastings: 529920

OS Northings: 424155

OS Grid: TA299241

Mapcode National: GBR XT6P.J6

Mapcode Global: WHHH7.GB64

Plus Code: 9C5XMXX8+3H

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Coach-House Adjoining to East

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 16 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1083451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166590

Location: Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Patrington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Winestead St Germain

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in


TA 22 SE
(south side, off)
6/47 The Old Rectory and
coach-house adjoining to
4-3-52 east
(formerly listed
16-12-66 seperately)

Rectory and adjoining coach-house. House: C17 origins, alterations of 1728
for Christopher Hildyard, alterations and north-west drawing room wing of
1775 for Francis Drake, alterations and addition to rear of c1825, C19 bay
windows. C20 alterations for Col R A Alec-Smith include interior
alterations and repositioning entrance and windows to create symmetrical
front in 1948, addition of north-east kitchen wing in 1954-5. Coach-house
of 1804 for Rev William Hildyard. House: main range in red brick (in
English bond to gable ends); brown brick to north-west wing. Red brick to
coach-house. Pantile roofs throughout. House approximately U-shaped on
plan: 3-room south front with wide central hall containing staircase to left
and inserted central entrance (entrance formerly to left of centre),
drawing-room wing to rear left; rear outshuts and C20 kitchen wing to rear
right, adjoining L-shaped coach-house. Small walled courtyards to rear.
House: 2 storeys with attic, 5 bays; symmetrical, with projecting full-
height square outer bays with canted bay windows. Entrance has stone step
with moulded nosing to recessed half-glazed fielded-panel door in shouldered
architrave with stepped key bearing crest in oval medallion, pulvinated
frieze and dentilled pediment. Datestone over door inscribed 1728. 3
central bays have 12-pane flush sashes (those to first floor slightly
shorter) with sills and rubbed-brick flat arches with raised ashlar
keystones inscribed with Alec-Smith monogram and dated 1948. Flat-roofed
full-height bay windows have 12-pane sashes to front, 8-pane sashes to
sides, sills, moulded wooden cornices. Dentilled brick eaves cornice.
Tumbled-in brick to raised gables. Axial and end stacks. Left return:
similar ground-floor sash and unequal 9-pane attic sash to front range, 2-
bay wing has slightly-recessed 12-pane sashes with sills and stucco flat
arches incised in imitation of rubbed brick, stepped eaves, tumbled-in brick
to raised gables with shaped stone kneelers. Coach-house set back to right:
single-storey with attic, 3 bays. Central carriage entrance with double
board doors flanked by single door to left, 8-pane sliding sash and board
door beneath 3-pane overlight to right. All openings with segmental arches,
doors with wrought-iron strap hinges. Tumbled-in brick to raised right
gable. Right return has 12-pane ground-floor sash, first-floor board door
and small triangular opening to gable with projecting shelf; pair of stable
doors to later single-storey rear wing. Interior. House retains original
1775 dentilled cornice to drawing room, and staircase of 1728 (perhaps re-
set), with exposed tread-ends, ramped corniced hand-rail, column newels and
alternating column-on-vase and twist-on-vase balusters with square knops.
Many other features such as panelling, doors and chimney-pieces were brought
from Hull and Winestead Red Hall in the 1940s and 1950s. Among the most
notable are the early C18 library 2-fold doors in architraves from Winestead
Red Hall, and fitted bookshelves, ornate chimney-piece, overmantel and
dentilled cornice from Etherington Buildings, Hull; dentilled chimney-piece
in entrance hall from Etherington Buildings; the drawing room carved doors
and architraves, chimney-piece and overmantel from 37 High Street, Hull; the
elaborate west bedroom chimney-piece (from 20 High Street, Hull) and door
architraves with open pediments and urns in the same room; ornate chimney-
pieces to nursery and east bedroom. Interior of coach-house: room to right
contains re-set C18 stone chimney-piece with carved overmantel and cornice,
half-domed alcove with keyed archivolt, fluted pilasters and dentilled
cornice. In 1616 the rectory, containing hall and chamber, was decayed; in
1672 there were 5 hearths. Andrew Marvell, the poet, was born in Winestead
Rectory in 1620-21, but it is uncertain whether parts of this building are
incorporated in the present house, though plan and wall thicknesses clearly
suggest its C17 origins. R A Alec-Smith, "Winestead Rectory", c1965, (ms
book in the house); R A Alec-Smith, "Winestead", Transactions of the
Georgian Society for East Yorkshire, vol 1, pt III, 1939-46, 44-5; J
Cornforth, Country Life, 14 January 1965; J Cornforth, The Inspiration of
the Past: Country House taste in the Twentieth Century, 1985, 139-42.

Listing NGR: TA2992024155

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.